Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pieter

Joysticks and "true" flight models

One thing that I'm now very sure about is that flight modelling of aircraft is much more joystick dependant than I realised!I've had this ol' MS sidewinder for quite some time. MSFS and FU3 were, hmm, always so-so... The digital stick is fairly sensitive and I always thought that X-Plane had the best "feel" to real aircraft control, of course minus the "real" vertigo input and response of control as experienced with real (smaller) aircraft. I've switched over to a (not so expensive) Wingman force feed back. It made a world of difference to either FS or Flight Unlimited! Crazy thing now, X-Plane models now (without the force feed back support) feel really bad. The joystick has a fairly large free moving area before the "servos" kick in when used in X-P. If one doesn't adjust X-Plane for nil-zone, the aircraft simulate tremendously sensitive up to a point of the extreme oscillations of over-control in all dimensions. I've set the nil-zones, now it reacts like driving a large heavy truck (for which I have license btw), much steering movement before any reaction! When I put the ol' SW back on X-Plane models "feel" fine. The FF stick really makes FS feel good again and even ol' FU3 is more enjoyable again. X-Plane, well it "stinks" with the FF!Any comments?Pieter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only joysticks that I have ever used with the FU series are the Flightsticks from CH Products. I used a standard Flightstick (the one without the hat switch) with FU1, and then two versions of the Flightstick Pro with FU2 & 3 (the analogue version, and then a new USB version when that one eventually failed after something like six years of use).I can honestly say that these CH joysticks are utterly superb for flying in FU3. They are smooth, responsive, and incredibly durable (I suspect that the only reason that the analogue version failed is because I dropped it onto a stone fireplace) !Chris Low.

Folks,See my comments on the other thread. As for different sticks making sims feel different, you have to set sensitivities in each sim for each stick as there is no 'standard'.BTW, in my experience, most USB sticks come way too sensitive. Using my old analogue CH yoke, I run all the settings in the middle (I believe that FU3 WAS tested using CH sticks and they would have been analogue then). For instance, using out-of-the-box settings for a CH Pro USB, I was constantly diving and climbing for the first few minutes. The Sidewinder was the same. Also, for some reason (realism?), the manual trims on analogue yokes actually behave like real ones (i.e. you can feel the yoke pressure drop to 0 when trimmed).I DO waffle, eh?:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"