Sign in to follow this  
atkin

addon problems

Hi, I installed the 737-400,Dc3 aircraft and the B747 challange addon programs.FU3 just crashes with them after a short time.I am using Win XP +SP2 ,Nvidia FX5200 graphics card AMD 2400+ CPU.I have a feeling the software was developed on Win 2000 so it was never tested with XP and SP2.Any ideas,Thanks,Atkin

Atkin,FU3 has no problems with Windows XP. Although I don't have the 747 challenge installed, I do have the 747-400 itself, and also the DC3. They both work fine.....and my version of XP has been upgraded to SP2 status.Have you tried removing all three, and adding them one at a time ? That might help you to work out which one is causing problems.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest effyouthree

Atkin,Sometimes, resfiles (aircraft files) become corrupted during copying :-(I have had this happen a number of times and it is the reason why we all share our resfiles using ZIP or ACE file compression. It has something to do with checksum errors (as this is the only difference visible outside the file) but I don't know what causes it!If you have Resviewer.exe (and if not, why not?), open-up the aircraft resfile and look at the first 18 or so files, after #3. They should all be playable sound files (pilot/ATC voices) and show a wavefile icon. If you just get hexfile/textfiles, she's corrupted and you must delete the file and restore it from an original.It has happened to me so many times, I NEVER 'move' files at all, just copy. When you are sure the copied file is OK, delete the source (unless you don't have another copy).Open your 'flt3.cfg' file and look for the last aircraft used. Delete THAT entry only and try again. You can also just rename your cfg file temporarily and try that too. Just remember to delete the 'new' one as it will be a default FU3 file and you will lose your customisations (if you start FU3 without a 'flt3.cfg' file in your FU3 root folder, it creates a new default one!).:-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Hi, Thanks for the replies .I tried all what was suggested but I still have the same problem.The sim crashes after 1 minute usually.I live in hope.Atkin

Guest effyouthree

After 1 minute huh?OK. 1st, REMOVE the stuff you added (including packages). Also, delete your 'flt3.cfg' file (put a copy somewhere else if you want).1. Still crashes? The problem isn't in what you added, or your cfg file. FU3 works fine in 98SE, XP and Win2K. I know, I use them all (also FX5200 and Athlon here). It IS rather resource hungry and you should disable your task manager before proceeding to load ANY game.2. No crash? Try restoring aircraft first and try again. Aircraft usually crash the sim upon loading (map screen) or cause a CTD.3. Still no crash? Restore your packages.4. Crash? You probably have a missing 'mipfile' (a texture file used by the game). Try removing half of the packages and try again. Repeat this until you find the offending package. Try downloading it again or contact the author for advice through this forum.5. No crash? Try restoring your challenges. I've never seen a 'bad' challenge affect the game like that (believe me, I've written a few 'baddies') but there's always a first time...Other things:- As mentioned above, turn off EVERYTHING else before running FU3.- If the base install won't run, there is definitely something wrong with either your PC or your FU3 installation. FU3 usually crashes to the desktop (CTD) if there is really something wrong.- Run a full diagnostic on the PC, especially video and sound. XP has a bad habit of appearing to run OK even when its wobbly. - Nothing 'happens' after 1 minute in the game. The only real possibility is missing mipfiles or a corrupted package, allowing the game to run until that package loads. I had a faulty Sequim package (my own) that caused random lockups after departure from Sequim Valley, just as I flew past Diamond Point. It was full of models I had since renamed/deleted :-(- Lastly, run a 'proper' memory test on the PC. Windows does NOT test memory on boot-up because it would take hours to test-write and read every possible combination and I have found 3 faulty simms in the past few years. In every case, the PC worked 100% until a truly resource-hungry app was loaded. Progs like Word/Excel etc didn't crash it - even CorelDraw didn't. My FU3 used to randomly crash, sometimes after an hour. 2 hours under 'memtest.exe' found one 256M simm to be faulty (and no crashes since replacement).Oh, and have a great weekend (yes, I'm 'down-under' so I'm a day ahead) :-waveRegards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here".

Hi, The sim runs perfect.The problem is the addon aircraft.I discovered if I turn off the graphics card all is OK.The card is an Nvidia FX5200 128MBram with the latest driver.I thought this was powerful enough!!I have all the extras turned off also.There maybe an issue with the card.The framerates in FU3 are so erratic usually, they cannot be relied on for a solution to the problem.Thanks for your help.Regards,Atkin

Atkin, have you patched the sim? Nvidea doesn't like FU3 out-of-the-box. Your video card is more than powerful enough. You may certainly have a corrupt aircraft file but there's no reason to give up on the B 747 or the DC 3 :-)Another possible problem is overheating. If a PC crashes to the desktop after running a heavy "game" for a few minutes you may have insufficient cooling. Hence, everything may work fine until you really tax the system. Gaming computers tend to start CTDing in July, provided you live north of the equator :-)best regards,Hans Petter

Hi, I have the patch,the sim did not start without it.I put a cpu motherboard fan on the graphics card CPU as I burned my finger on it!!.Why it does not come as standard is a mystery.I downloaded the files again still the same.Thanks again,Regards,Atkin

Guest Ansgar

Hi Atkin,as developer of the aircraft addons you named first and you have installed I would like to help you if any possible. But for that I will need more details from your side! Especially I need the file name of the update packs you installed to give me the chance to see if there is something wrong or not.1. you should test and separate which of the above aircraft exactly makes the problem: => the B747-400 (I suggest you use the latest version V2.00?!)=> the DC3 (which version of it?)=> the B737-400 wonders me a bit because I never uploaded it as flyable plane! Or did you mean one of my AI-packs in beta status?As Jon stated you should erase them temporary and test if also an single file of them (i.e. the B747-400) makes the same problem.2.My flyable planes in general goes to the absolute limit FU3 ever supports! This is based to the fact that the highest reachable quality level in FU3 is the minimum for me. ;-)This also means that i.e. the number of used axles and polygons in the planes are at the maximum allowed in FU3. Nevertheless an correct download of the right package (here at avsim

Hi, The DC3 ver and file.Filename: DC3_C49_G202A_V1_20.ZIP -> usable as add-on plane for FUIIIDate: 01.09.2002Version: V1.20 (a modified variant of the original DC3-C47 V1.10 made by the autors: Ansgar Avermeyer, Steve Hess, Jon Point, Erik Bj

Guest Ansgar

Hi Atkin,for sure both versions you named above are working OK. The DC3 is only an variant of my original file (I think modified and uploaded from Jon Point), but I also know it works properly and tested it myself years ago.And if you see the planes working fine in FU3