Sign in to follow this  
Guest evansgg

Thank God for FU3

Robert,Ahh, I can sleep again ;-)Your focussed commitment to the UK South region is a good idea, since this is the area that you like best in FU3. That's why I have decided to concentrate on the SanFran region. I have always been fascinated with the Bay area, and I personally think that the scenery area is far superior to that of Seattle. I have done a lot of work in the Seattle area, but I have far more information of the Bay area (and the desire to utilise that information). Those DRG maps have a wealth of data on them (I could add every windmill and water tank in the Bay area in their correct locations, should I wish to do so :-eek)Even though adding electricity pylons in this region is a very time consuming task, I am actually enjoying it (in a weird sort of way). Jon created a smaller pylon model for me recently (in no more than a day), and last night I added the first long line of these pylons to the SanFran scenery. They look good, and contrast nicely with the larger ones. I will be adding more of these in the near future, but I may well send a copy of the current version of the SANFRAN PYLONS package (109K) to a few beta testers this weekend. I have almost completed adding pylons in the area south of a line that passes through the stretch of water between the Carquinez and Antioch bridges, and I would like to make sure that everything is OK up to this point. There is one section of this area (called LAS TRAMPAS RIDGE) that I do not have any data for (the DRG file for this region is corrupt), but I have sent an e-mail directly to the BARD (Bay Area Regional Database) USGS website, asking for help. Let's just hope that I get a response :-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest R_Driscoll

I thought the terrain mesh was about 30m for Seattle. I think the agtim additions to Isle of Wight are better than 80m. Can anyone confirm this?

Terrain mesh for FU2 and FU3 was always 64m Elevation matrix is 256x256Texture matrix is 4096x4096 4096 / 256 = 16 pixel --> at 4m/pixel --> 16x4 = 64msure 19m is better but this is available for small parts of MSFS only.and think about load time --> UKS is ready to play in less than 10s ! :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Well then you've done an amazing job agtim to make the Welsh mountains so good!

Thanks Robert, here is just the next step.The new elevation has reached the first populated place --> CardiffAirport adapted to the same elevation of 196ft so all objects inside the flat area are safe, houses and trees on the hills must be touched in FLED. and here the old/new views.New/old elevation around CardiffThe difference between DEM and SRTM meshes, always 64m grid in FU3 UKSleft OLD, right NEW with the valley at the real placehttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/one.jpgCoast shape at final OLD with a big step to the airport levelhttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/oco.jpgCoast shape at final NEW now a smooth slopehttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/nco.jpgCardiff OLD and near flathttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/oca.jpgCardiff NEW with hills and the valley see left sidehttp://www.agtim.ch/fu3/images/nca.jpg :-wave agtim

Guest R_Driscoll

Jawdropping stuff agtim. So have you fixed the heights of ALL the models? I think that you are saying that you have kept the original airport height. If you change the airport height, then the only problem will be with the Cardiff radar. This is a moving object, but it is placed onto a stationary model (i.e. the frame of the radar is fixed, only the "dish" rotates), so that if any heights get changed, then the position of the rotating radar would need to be checked carefully at high magnification. But it looks so much better! There are similar airport "cliff" boundaries at Gatwick and Southampton, and I can't wait until you have got down there. My current plans: working on Cowes, Southend, glidernut's new package (but I think that my involvement there is almost done), occasional London buildings, fixing scenery at LCA (almost done too), Biggin's Hill (that's a fun one! - now where can I get some hurricanes and spitfires, oh, you have already done that?), but then I hope to do some refurbishing of Heathrow, add some of the missing terminal wings, sort out Ansgar's new choices of planes for Heathrow, etc. But all in good time, and I think now mainly for my own benefit - releasing these packages is difficult since I am fixing some old models and that means changes to modelmip.tag. So a big release all at once would be better.Agtim, one current problem. The pier at Southend is a kilometre long, so the sea (Thames estuary) needs to be flat. I flattened it for myself, but I need to learn how to make your "flat" packages as scripts for other people. Or better, if I can wait until you have worked your way down to Southend and flattened the sea for me! I mean, I don't mind a few waves but the sea height around Southend varies by over 10 m! RobD.

Hi Robert,The height of Cardiff airport remains as the same old value. The real hill is a bit higher, up to 235ft but have set the limit to 196ft.Radar is OK. There was just a moving plane missing, have change it to B-17. Had to set some houses and trees outside of the flat airport area on the sea side and at Cardiff town.Now I am working east of Cardiff and will reach Southend in the next time. The sea has to be flat yes, it was not in the old elevation model because of wrong fractals but this will change now.Happy to hear about all this activities :-)I release a new geos version as soon I reach Southend. Biggin hill will be greath but wait until you get the new elevation for it. I remember to try to flatten the airport there but was not happy with the result. :-wave agtim