Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dominik Mann

BAE 146 = Avro RJ86????

Please excuse my ignorance -- I'm not really into commercial aircraft - but I'm learning.I have a nice Avro RJ85 aircraft - and a panel that says it is suitable for an Avro RJ85 and a BAE146. I also have a really good panel (supposedly) for a BAE146.The first panel quotes this "BAe 146-200 - Four 31.0kN (6900lb) Textron Lycoming ALF 502R5 turbofans. RJ85 - Four 31.0kN (6970lb) AlliedSignal LF 507 turbofans."So my question is -- is an Avro RJ85 the same aircraft as a BAE 146??Barry

Im almost certain that it is. I think that maybe that division of BAE got sold off to Avro and so the aircraft was renamed to Avro. Its the same aircraft though for sure.the RJ85 is I think the BAE 146-100the RJ100 is the BAE 146-200 thats just making a guess though.Im sure someone knows the full details though.Craig Kiltie

Pretty much yea. The BAe 146-200 I think by memory. The company changed it's name of the aircraft when it was brought by another person (I think thats how it goes...someone correct me becasue I'm wrong ;-))http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/edenw/fs_banner_je4.jpg Think highly of yourself, for the world takes you at your estimate -Anon edit: Whoops, we should really time our messages being posted Craig :-lol

Basically British Aerospace did quite well selling three variants of the orginal Hawker Siddeley designed 146 - they were the -100, -200, and -300. But as technology progressed, the original 1970s design was ageing compared to newer offerings from the likes of Bombardier, so it was decided to re-engineer the 146. So the RJ series was born, using the same airframe, but with upgraded engines and avionics. The RJs can fly higher and further than the 146. Avro is a well known name in British aircraft manufacturing - they were the firm that made the Lancaster Bomber - AVRO is an acronym for AV Roe and Company of Manchester (where the 146 and RJs were built after BAe closed its Hatfield factory).RJ70 - new 146-100RJ85 - new 146-200RJ100 - new 146-300What's the biggest shame is that BAE Systems had begun flight testing of the RJX series. Again, same airframe as the 146, but with latest technology engines and avionics. However, despite orders from British European and Druk Air of Bhutan, BAe Systems cancelled the project because of the post Sept 11 downturn in the industry.Read more about the 146, RJ and RJX at http://www.smiliner.comRob

Guest Dominik Mann

>>What's the biggest shame is that BAE Systems had begun flight testing of the RJX series. Again, same airframe as the 146, but with latest technology engines and avionics. However, despite orders from British European and Druk Air of Bhutan, BAe Systems cancelled the project because of the post Sept 11 downturn in the industry. This is a shame indeed - I have only good memories of the RJ :-( .