Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pkilmurray

FU3 Vs XP

Guest Pkilmurray

My partner, bless her, recently picked up FU3 from Asda for me (as I am currently spending my days on Flight Gear). I have a problem running FU on my machine.It has the V2.0 patch installed, but when attempting to run the game, the screen goes blank, switches itself into FU mode, and then returns back to windows (with the

Guest Pkilmurray

Just trawled the internet and, although picking up no help from EA or other sites concerning FU3, I did find an article regarding FU2.Seems windows can have a problem with, what I presume is, an intro movie (although, never having the pleasure to view it, I can

Sorry for jumping in too late :-)Yes, this is a fairly well-known problem. The thing is, the indeo video codec of that intro movie used to be shipped with Windows. Win XP has dropped it but you can still get it and add it if you want it. The problem with not having it is that the sim crashes the moment it tries to play the movie. Most of us have disabled it just as you did.Hans Petter

It's worth noting that the SOLD OUT version of FU3 does not suffer from this problem.Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

That's very strange. I was under the impression that the intro movie had been removed from the budget version, since Sold Out Software would obviously have needed to make sure that it worked properly with Windows XP.Well, never mind. The important point is that you have it working now !When Hans refers to this being a "well known problem", he probably means that it is well known to those of us who have been using FU3 for a considerable length of time. I am pretty sure that you would have had great difficulty finding out about ANYTHING related to FU3 until you visited us here at AVSIM Online ;-)Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest Pkilmurray

Yes, you would think that. But, obviously there is a somewhat slack jawed approach to getting products out these days. When I saw the information concerning this problem and FU2, I was in no hurry to change the config file, thinking much the same as you

Paul,The Sold Out version of FU3 is exactly the same as the original boxed copy. The term "budget" is used for software that has been re-released at a reduced price, and FU3 falls into that category (since it is now six years old).To be honest, we can count ourselves fortunate that copies of FU3 can be purchased AT ALL these days. That legal dispute between EA and the LGS wreckage appeared to be an insurmountable obstacle not so long ago (a similar problem is currently affecting System Shock 2).Chris Low.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png