Sign in to follow this  
Guest fu3 kid

sanfran problem

Guest fu3

Well, that's simple then - buy a copy of FU2 ;)Regards,Jon Point

Jon wrote: "You should never use the same tagfile over and over - you'll end-up with strange spikes and holes in weird places over time" I assume that this implies that editing of the same area shouldn't be repeated. This raises two questions: 1)When repeated tweaks create errors something is likely to be wrong at the first go and then being exacerbated each time you try to fine-tune the tweak. If so, the usual approach to perfecting something (fine-tuning and editing your first approach) won't work. 2) Further, I assume that it's OK to use a tweaked tagfile for new tweaks in another area? In other words, previous tweaks in other areas are no problem as long as you refrain from doing a specific area over and over.Hans Petter

It's very simple :-)A tile is like an item in the plane resource fileIf you modify one no other tile will be affected just remember the border pixel must be the same as in the neighbor tile.Before you start modification to a tile first export the elevationyou get a e0xxyy.tga file and this is your backup !save it in a secure foldernow flatten in any way as you can learn at www.agtim.ch/fu3/To remove the spikes you must after flattening the yellow area 1. export the elevation 2. import the elevation to synchronize the levels 2 and 0 of geos.If you are not happy with your work then just load the elevation from you backup map and paint or adjust again.you can directly paint into the elevation map - use color picker to take the correct elevation color you need. You can export elevation palettes using GeoTilesViewer.You will find more info on my pages.:-waveAndre

Guest fu3

H-P,What I meant was, not that the editing process introduces errors, but that the trial-and-error method of setting the airstrip heights does. If you 'elevate' an area, don't like it and alter the area again, the previously-changed elevation does not get reset - only where the yellow parts are. This means for example, that any parts that get changed are changed (?!) but if you paint green over any section then redo the yellow area, the previous 'yellow areas' are still at their old elevation :-( This sometimes leads to lumpy parts arouind the periphery of the yellow area.The only way to avoid this is to ONLY modify an unmodified tagfile. When I say 'unmodified', I mean 'ready to modify'. It may have already been modified 100 times in other places, as long as you are 100% happy with it. Then, you use this as your backup, copying it across to the geos folder for EACH trial modification. Once modified (and you're happy with it), it is OK to move on (and call the modified tagfile 'unmodified' for the next airstrip). Also, if you make a mistake that messes things up too much, the only method of recovery (without replacing the tagfile and losing all your work) is to export an elevation from an unmodified tagfile and import it into the modified one. It is much simpler to avoid all of this by always working from a backup. Having flattened 60+ airstrips, I can attest to needing a reliable method ;)PS Keep all of the exported 'e0xxxx.tga' files until you are 200% content with it. If you find a lump or dip, as Andre says, just mark-up the e0xxxx.tga file and reimport it. I have used this method to remove lumpy forests, recreate rivers and get rid of odd lumps and dips in the terrain.PPS Don't forget the Seattle terrain elevation of 109ft ;)Regards,Jon Point