Sign in to follow this  
pbenoit

DF Archer rudder trim ?

Hi,I have been flying the DF Archer for a couple of weeks now, and it appears it needs severe rudder trim to keep it straight, both during take off and in flight. I know torque and stuff is simulated and I have calibrated my yoke, but still it needs much more rudder trim than any other aircrafts (i.e. FSD 115TC/Cheyenne/etc)Is this normal? Does anyone else also experiences this or is it my setup/system?Egbert

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you downloaded the "patch" for the Archer.I had the same problem when the archer first came out. After the patch it works like a dream. There is still some torque effect as I suppose you would expect but it is much more manageable.RegardsColin

Get the patch as suggested in the first reply if you havn't. Actually the patch corrected an initial drift to the right when applying throttle. It still "slightly" does it. Regarding left drift during takeoff & climb, I find it to be near perfect................ if you have rudder pedals! Without pedals, nearly all simulated single engine FS2002 aircraft tend to be squirrely on the takeoff roll unless you really dumb down the sensitivity & have a complete lack of "feel" that you experience with rudder pedals in a real aircraft. Other "sims" in which single engine planes track straight during takeoff, are wrong!!The left drift should continue through the climb. Set the heading bug on the directional gyro to your course & then just hold it there. Once you've leveled out, you can set the rudder trim (shift 6) for nearly straight flight. This will also be affected by weight of a single pilot, passengers, & fuel balance in the tanks. For those without rudder pedals,....once again, I can't stress the simming enhancement with rudder pedals enough. Without them, auto-coordination is probably a better option. Twist grips, rocker switches, & keyboards just don't do it for me!!

Hi,Both thanks for your answers.I had installed the patch already, but will recheck. I forgot to mention that I have a left drift. However since I don't know how the real aircraft behaves I guess it's OK then (it indeed occurs mostly during climb)Take care,EgbertBTW: I use the USB Pro Yoke and Pro Pedals of CH products