Sign in to follow this  
Guest henrikthg

What is best OpenGL or DirectX10.1

Guest henrikthg

HeyNew to X-PlaneHave a Question about the visuel. As i understand X-plane use OpenGl but will this stall the X-plane in the visuel aspect.Can we get the same as in the much hyped DirectX10.1 ?Normally I fly in Low visibility but still like great visual. RegardsHenrik (Piaggio Pilot)

Henrik,Xplane (any version) ONLY uses OpenGL. I haven't seen anything really different between using OpenGL and DX9c I can't speak for DX10.1 as I don't run with Vista. But the aforementioned shows no difference. The new water effect in Xplane v9.6 is really nice!Cheers,Mitch

Guest paperflyer

Open GL supports the same features as DirectX. However, it updates itself incrementially, so there is no big-new-release with all the shader stuff of DX10 in it. It just silently supports it.There are no big differences in rendering capabilities between DX and OpenGL as far as I know except that DX is not portable to any other operating system other than Windows.Of course, DX10 is the preferred toolkit on Windows, as it is maintained by Microsoft itself instead of an open community.Being open, there is of course no restriction of where to use certain features of open GL so you won't have to buy Vista just to enable certain rendering features... As long as your hardware and driver supports the associated draw calls, it will work just fine without marketing restrictions.