Sign in to follow this  
Guest gooper

what countriess does RCv3 cover?

Guest gooper

Hi all, I just purchased RCv3 as based on everything I have read it looks to be THE add-on product to buy to really make fs2002 as real as it gets and i look forward to hours of flight simming. i do have one question regarding what countries ATC sytem it supports. does it only support flights within USA or does it cover Canada, Europe,etc.?

Gooper,JD said it all but let me tell you where I tested with my PIC/POSKY 767. First all over the United States and Canada, including Alaska and Hawaii. All over South America. Europe (Germany, Russia, UK, Netherlands), Asia (Japan, China, South East Asia, Korea and the South Pacific) New Zealand and Australia. Not the entire world but close. Worked fine in all locations with some great new canned chatter.Need more details just let us know.CheersBob Johnson

Gooper,As jd and Bob have already said, the program will "work" anywhere in the world - and superbly well, too! However, your question was about "what countries' ATC system it supports". If, by this, you mean does it replicate or use the ATC procedures of countries outside the US, then the answer is no, it doesn't.The airspace model and the way it is divided between controllers, the RT phraseology and the general ATC procedures are all American wherever in the world you happen to be flying. Scott summed it up when, replying to a New Zealander with a similar question, he said, "if there is a situation where NZ'ers do it one way, and USA controller do it another way, RC will do it the USA way." So, if, for example, you make a flight in the UK from London to Glasgow, what you'll get is US ATC in British airspace modified to fit the American model.There are, however, a couple of cosmetic changes in RC3 that make flying outside the US (in Europe, at least) a little more realistic such as the altimeter settings being passed in millibars and the callsign "Control" instead of "Center" and it's also possible to use RVSM levels in flight plans. There is also a method of inputting the different Transition Altitudes use outside North America but this feature needs a 'workaround' to get it to work correctly and "The Boss" is keeping that secret at the moment! :-lol :-lol :-lolMaybe in some future version, ATC procedures outside the US will be properly integrated (a Herculean - if not near-impossible - task, I might add) but 'til then, enjoy RC3 for what it is - the best ATC add-on available for FS by a country mile.Pete

Guest Scott Campbell

Pete,Nice treatise. ;-)It was Subs who answered about NZ by the way.At least RC, even though adhering to US procedures, is still far more accurate and realistic than the FSATC. As later RC versions come along, I'm sure that will be expanding. Depends on how many controllers and experts are on the team. ;-)I can't agree more about the TA/TL bit (but lets keep that to ourselves ;-lol).

>It was Subs who answered about NZ by the way. >The pressure of all that testing has obviously affected both of us, Scott - it was actually jd who wrote the post I quoted from. Oooppps :-bang Pete

Guest Scott Campbell

Ooooops. Who reads? I understand there's this thingy out called a man-you-all, too, whatever that is. ;-)Hey, if you stick with the team, I'm guessing we'll have the UK procedures pretty well developed, too. You've already done a lot to help to expand the system! ;-)

For v4.0 (!), if expanding to accommodate real-world, non-US ATC procedures is on the agenda, it should only be necessary to talk to the VATSIM folks. One or two from each continent is all you'd really need. For example, I'm in the UK and I know that UK VATSIM controllers (some of whom do it for a living - poor sods) are aware of the differences across Europe. So I don't think you'd need THAT many new folks to get a take on the regional differences.AndyEGTR