Sign in to follow this  
Guest GabrielR

My amaizing Flight Yesterday

Guest GabrielR

Hi, I am a very happy user of RC3, just three flights so far, This is what I did yesterday in the PSS Dash 8.SKBO-via ZIP DP- BUV,BGA,SKCC 220 NM, 1:20 min of flight.Try to fly out from SKBO on the 13L This has to be done all manual, turning left @ 600' MSL banking at 25 degrees on 6% climb rate not exceeding 185 Knots, making almost a U turn to join the ZIP transition.Just45 min after your done with the departure do this approach:I am descending over a very montanious area, some peaks are over the 11000', getting very close to destination (1055' above Sea level). I have already checked on my flight Planning and know that in the route I am descending now my MSA is 13000' within 20 NM of my destination (imagine that), I was instructed to descend from my initial FL220 to FL140, and then ATC instructed me to descend to FL80, (I know there is no possible way for the controlers to be aware of the terrain below). I am unable to do this because of terrain clearance, the aproach to this airport (SKCC) is published with a very sharp circle to land procedure inside a valley surrounded by High mountains. (try to do it is really amaizing).What would you do, inform unable to comply and descend to FL130?, start descending and request higher FL later?I had to make the desicion real fast, as I was comming really hot and fast down to the IAF. I decided to request IAP, and hardly flew the procedure down to the minimum with a visibility almost in limit and a little of crosswind component, RC was with me all the time and cleared me to land just in time (An AI DC9 was behind me on final closing very fast) as soon as I touched down and the reverse Kicked in and when below 50 knots I applied the brakes very hard and get out of the runway. 30 secs later the DC9 landed... what an amaizing flight.This flight was suggested to me by an actual Dash8 pilot with 20+ years of experience in Turbo props, when I asked him which is the most dangerous approach that he has flown in his life. He does this flight almost on a daily basis... he did it once with one engine!Get the charts and fly it!

turn on arrival notams if you are coming into a mountainous airport, or departure notams if you are departing a mountainous airport.

Guest Scott Campbell

Also, Since this is a very specific landing procedure, request IAP so you can make the circles ot landing and follow the plate.For departure, as well as using NOTAMs, also use Flex DP to make sure you can make that initial turn.