Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Flight Planners and STARS

I just started using FSBUILD in combo with FSNAVIGATOR as recommended by a tutorial to get ready for RC 3.0. I built the FP in FSBUILD to PIT Pittsburgh using the CIP-Grace2 Rwy 28L STAR. I then pressed the BUILD button and sent the plan KAVP-KPIT to FS2002 and FSNAV. When I went to FSNAV I found the plan and opened it and saw the route on the map but my plan didn't show the STAR complete with the fixes to runway 28L, nor did it show the "green bar" indicating a STAR route in the plan, just the main waypoints CIP, EARED, GRACE, and PIT. The map only showed a single gray line to the airport but not to the runway. I searches within FSNAV and Found a GRACE1 28L STAR. When I selected it I got the STAR within the plan complete with the "green bar" indicating the STAR in the Flight Plan, as well as a detailed line on the map showing a path and fixes to rwy 28L. I then loaded the plan into my Dreamfleet 737 FMC and had to reselect GRACE2 STAR this time. There were no GRACE1 STARs available. I thought this might be a database issue but is there a way to load plans consistently between FS add ons and aircraft? Thanks. :-)

Flaps, I can't help you with your specific question, but you do realize by default RC will take you off your STAR when you talk to the Apch controller...? This is 99.99% realistic. Many FMC drivers have shown they're bound and determined to allow their FMCs fly them to thresholds though, and there are ways around the vectors. (You may know all of this already, forgive me if you do!). The IAP feature's likely the cleanest way, well documented.

Thanks DT, not being a real pilot I didn't realize this. I always thought the selected STAR was pretty much "in stone" when chosen for a flight plan provided the runway didn't change. Regards, Tom :-wave

Thanks Doug, I didn't realize this. I always thought that a STAR in a FMC flight plan was pretty much "in stone" as long as the designated runway didn't change while enroute. Regards, Tom :-wave

Tom,That's a general misconception many folks have with how they think a STAR should work. As Doug mentioned, 99.99% of the time you will not fly the entire STAR as published. I always program my arrival into the FMC as it's shown on the arrival plate and fly it in as far as ATC needs me to. As soon as approach starts vectoring me for sequencing I switch over from LNAV to HDG SEL mode. At that point you can put away your arrival plate, it's finished. It did it's job just fine by getting you into approach airspace via a standard published route and now approach control is doing their job by getting you vectors for the approach and landing.Have a good flight!Mike CollierDispatcherSystem Operations ControlAmerica West Airlines