Sign in to follow this  
Guest MSMITH6

Stuck Waypoint?

Guys-Flying KDEN - KHLN. Last waypoint before KHLN is the BZN VOR. Approximately 30 miles from BZN ATC tells me something to the effect that "weather in front will cause some delays and to expect vectors". I have a hard time understanding this controller but it sounded like "fly heading 135, direct when able". A 135 heading will take me to my waypoint of BZN. So, I fly to BZN, BUT after passing it, the waypoint doesn't go off of AdvDisp like normal. (I was never given hold instructions or delay vectors at all). I turn towards my next waypoint, which is the airport at KHLN, and I'm getting busted for being off airway. ATC basically gives me a heading to go back to BZN (like it does if you miss a waypoint). So, I keep flying endless circles back to BZN and never hear from ATC again. When I ask to deviate at all, ATC tells me "not now, after next waypoint call back" or something to that effect. But no matter how many times I fly over BZN, it won't cycle to next waypoint.1. Any idea what happened?2. What exactly does the phrase "fly heading XXX, direct when able" mean? (that's probably not exactly what was said, I'm going on memory for what is hard to understand from this controller). I presume this means ATC will tell me when they can send me on towards my destination, however, they will have to give me instructions in the interim.Thanks-

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1) put a ndb, vor, or even an intersection closer to the field. see what happens2) if you do that, i don't think this will happenjd

JD-When you say put a VOR, etc. closer to the field, do you mean that the BZN VOR above (which was my last waypoint) is different than what you are saying?Thanks-

in your flightplan, add a vor that is close to the airport. if there isn't one, add a ndb to the flightplan somewhere near the airportjd

>Guys->>Flying KDEN - KHLN. Last waypoint before KHLN is the BZN VOR.>Approximately 30 miles from BZN ATC tells me something to the>effect that "weather in front will cause some delays and to>expect vectors". I have a hard time understanding this>controller but it sounded like "fly heading 135, direct when>able". A 135 heading will take me to my waypoint of BZN. So, I>fly to BZN, BUT after passing it, the waypoint doesn't go off>of AdvDisp like normal. (I was never given hold instructions>or delay vectors at all). I turn towards my next waypoint,>which is the airport at KHLN, and I'm getting busted for being>off airway. ATC basically gives me a heading to go back to BZN>(like it does if you miss a waypoint). So, I keep flying>endless circles back to BZN and never hear from ATC again.>When I ask to deviate at all, ATC tells me "not now, after>next waypoint call back" or something to that effect. But no>matter how many times I fly over BZN, it won't cycle to next>waypoint.>>1. Any idea what happened?>2. What exactly does the phrase "fly heading XXX, direct when>able" mean? (that's probably not exactly what was said, I'm>going on memory for what is hard to understand from this>controller). I presume this means ATC will tell me when they>can send me on towards my destination, however, they will have>to give me instructions in the interim.>>Thanks- "fly heading XXX, direct when able" assumes you are not yet picking up the BZN VOR. Flying a heading, 135 for example, points you on an approximate heading toward BZN. When you get close enough to pick up the VOR then you can alter your heading to fly directly there. If you are picking up BZN when instructed to fly heading 135, you can disregard that and begin navigating direct immediately.As far as getting a last checkpoint as close to the field as possible, I think that you can even use the ndb at the outer marker (faf) if there is one. Also a lot of airports have a vor right on the field. That makes a good "close" last checkpoint.Bob

Mike,A couple of things.Firstly, if you were given that instruction, then you missed the "Approach is closed" part. You were given expect holding instructions, or the holding instructions themselves. You should have been told what pattern to fly - therefore, expect vectors. You won't get credit for passing the waypoint because you shouldn't have.However, I wasn't aware you could get holding if the last waypoint isn't within 5 miles of the field. Are you sure BZN was the last one?The holding instruction is to turn you towards the last waypoint, then vector you around the sky until APC can take you. The "Fly heading xxx, proceed direct when able" simply means to head towards the waypoint until you can pick it up.But like I said, I'm surprised you got holding instructions with a last waypoint 30 miles from the field.

Guys-BZN VOR was the last waypoint. Don't know exactly what happened, but holding or vector instructions were never given. I still have the flight in my files, so I'll try it again and see what happens.Thanks for replies.

the fact that you have nothing after bzn, may be what is causing a problem. isn't there an ndb or something close to the arrival airport? if so, make that your last waypointjd