Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

ProjectAI site closed permanently

I just read in the "old" ProjectAI forum that their "new" site has been closed permanently due to excess bandwidth usage. Apparently Avsim was considering hosting ProjectAI but has decided the auto-installer presents too much of a security risk - I don't know anything about server hosting and network file access, but I know Avsim does, so I totally agree with their assessment. Although the auto-installer is pretty neat and appears to work fine, I'd much rather have the project hosted on a reliable site than have an online installer. Maybe there are other things going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of - but if the installer is the only reason than ditch it (at least temporarily). Most FS enthusiasts are pretty computer-savvy and are able to do a manual install (in fact, many prefer not to use an install program at all). The fact is that I think this project is going to achieve great things in the future and I'd really like to see it hosted by the best sim site around.Just my 2 cents,Marc

Guest HeavyFan

this IS SAD news to hear! I sure wish they will come back soon! AS I only was able to downlaod the MD-11 plane and not any others! I prefer to do My Installs manually, but not everyone likes that!? I am very Sad to hear this news as it seems like another YEODESIGNS problem with thier Host, and they were offline for a couple months!! I hope the AI guy's come back sooner than that!!! MIKE :-(:-(:-(:'(

I read on the forum they were working on an offline auto installer.That would indeed be a good compromise.Wasn't (Isn't) there another mob doing similar things with AI?

Marc,I couldn't agree with you more. I hope they reconsider the whole auto-installer thing.I'm glad I was able to download what they had before things went south. It's a little buggy, but overall it's a great addition. Maybe they will release some stuff as "singles", but I'm not going to hold my breath.I've been gaming for a long time and this isn't the first time I've seen developers (freeware and payware) grossly under-estimate the band-width demand of their stuff. They are determined to have the auto-installer and I guess we'll just have to wait. They will probably get another host in a week or two and we can all rush to download stuff until that site blows up too.

Hi Zhe,Reference:>But this case, I much prefer the auto-installer because who >wants to go through thousands of Flight Plans to change the >AC numbers? You don't need to do that... ProjectAI supplies the aircraft along with flightplan information that uses them. It's a simple matter of dropping the Aircraft container into the FS2002Aircraft folder and compiling the flightplans using TTools. No editing is required.Regards,Marc

I thought I would bump this thread because ProjectAI is seeking opinions about their "hosting" options. Whether you agree with me or not, I urge everyone to visit their forum at www.sgair.net/cgi-local/Forum/AI/YaBB.pl and let them know what you think.Regards,Marc

I'll do now some about servers and programming also related to the web since 1990 ... Technical spoken I'll think there isn't a problem maybe a policy matter!awfEHAM

André