Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ian1977

Response times for menu interactions

Guest Ian1977

Hi all, New user here. Have made a couple of flights and RC seems to be behaving as advertised and saying the right things at the right times - a couple of points though.I am seeing a delay between the key stroke for menu item selection in AdvDisp window and response from either pilot's or controller's voice of between 15 and 20 seconds. Now and again it's faster than this but that is the normal delay. For example when instructed to line up and wait I hit 7 to acknowledge and am easily lined up before the pilot's voice even acknowledges the instruction. Similar with take-off clearance, I can often be in the air before my pilot's voice has acknowledged the clearance. The delay is split - for those interactions in which the AdvDisp display momentarily shows "standby" there is both a lag after the keystroke and "standby" appearing and then a delay between "standby" and a voice response.I've done the de-frag, and tried the audio acceleration settings but to no avail. This seems consistent behaviour at both main and quiet regional airports where there is little AI traffic about. Like the feel of it so far but could do without the time lags - am I right in assuming this isn't normal? Any suggestions?Second point - did I read is an earlier post that work was being done to accelerate the voices a bit? I've flown for some time with fs9's native ATC but with the voices speeded up (EditVoicePack)and have gotten quite used to it - with the slower RC voices I feel like telling ATC to hurry up and get on with it! Trouble is I don't know if the response delay is also slowing the voices a bit - same issue maybe?Machine is a reasonable spec 2.2MHz, lots of RAM, 256Mb Video etc. I've installed RC on a different internal disc from fs9 - might this be related. Sound is onboard right enough though I do have a separate sound card I could try if it isn't something obvious.Any suggestions would be much appreciated.Many ThanksIan

that seems longer that usual. are there any other background tasks running that would be slowing the interactionyes, 4.01 is being tested as we speak. the feedback has been positive regarding the speeding up the voices. it doesn't matter where you have rc installed. unless it is a usb drive. ;-) i suppose if you installed it on a slow disk (5000rpm, or slow seek times) it could make a differencejd

Guest Ian1977

Thanks,No other cpu draining processes I'm aware of - and fs's frame rates are fine, but I'll try killing everything that's not needed and see if it makes a difference.2nd disc is 7000rpm I'm sure.If anyone has seen anything like this I would be pleased if they can shed some light on it - otherwise I'll have to run the changes on all the settings, processes, hardware etc. Can you give me an indication of what length of delay is more usual - 1s, 2s, 5s ?Good news on the voices though.

Hi Ian,Although I haven't experienced the delays you mention I recently moved from onboard audio to a PCI bus card and noticed a great improvement in overall performance. If you have a spare card it might be worth trying just to see. I would say the average response time from key press to voicing of an instruction is between one and two seconds and I run RC via WideFS.Cheers,Rob Abernethy

I had this exact problem on a flight today. From contacting FSS to center etc....at least a 20 second delay. I tried closting and re-opening the advdisplay which didn't work. Doesn't seem to be a sytem speed problem as I right clicked on the advdisplay window (stopping FS and bringing up the menu) and then left clicked (closing the pop up menu) which brought up the commands right away. For example, clicking on 9 for the next menu would be delayed by 20 seconds, but if I right clicked on the menu it came right up, then pressing one of the options like altimeter check it would just sit there until I would right click and left click on the menu, then it would continue.Not sure what happened, but it seems things were not being updated. I did not receive the approach menu listings when 60 nm out nor did I get any descending instructions even after flying over the airport. I restarted flight sim and rc after the flight to see if the problem continued and it everything worked normally after that. I can't think of anything I did different to cause the problem, but all is working well now.Ian.

Guest Ian1977

Ian,Thanks for that - doing what you suggest has the desired effect. Right clicking on the AdvDisp window stimulates the delayed RC interaction which then proceeds immediately. The difference is I seem to have this problem permanently - closing & restarting either or both RC or FS doesn't fix it - I have permanent 15 to 20 second delays in all the RC interactions (unless I right then left click in the AdvDisp window!)I've tried:reinstall of RC (without recorded chatter)change from onboard audio to separate soundcard upgrade to fuispc 5.35running fs with no traffic, minimal display settings and low sound quality.killing background processesdisabling all addon sceneryflying other plane types (with no fsuipc gauge interactions)None of which alters this behaviour.I've also noticed that checking the RC options "display text" box doesn't seem to display any text - I am assuming that the controller text should be appearing in the AdvDisp window? Can anyone confirm.Any suggestions as where to look next would be appreciated. This must be fixable. I have AdvDisp 2.14, are there known issues with this version with RC?

why don't you start evrything as you would normally do, have rc running, fs running, everything else running, and you're experiencing the problemopen a dos window, or find "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedMSInfomsinfo32.exe" and execute itthen save the data, it will create an .nfo file. zip it up and send it to meyes display text should display words the controller says in the advdisp window.do you have the advdisp docked to a plane's panel? does it have a standard windows status bar around it?

Guest Ian1977

I'll do as suggested.No, the advdisp window in undocked and I'm flying with the VC cockpit. It has the standard window top banner and a normal looking thin border. However I did try docking it in the 2D cockpit with no apparent change in behaviour.Thanks

Guest Ian1977

Hi jd,Well done... your 4.2 upgrade has fixed this.Ian