Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Dad

ACT 'ers Hair On Fire.

Guest Captain Dad

Gentlemen:What are the allowed limits in nm from the course line for weather deviations in this here game anyway???Since we don't have "Terrain Deviations" I tried the following:Some ATC guy got his panties all scrunched up because I asked for a "weather deviation" over Alaska's Wrangell Saint Elias Wilderness Area. (Mt. Sanford is 16,237 elev.)He said "Sorry Pal, gotta keep you on course for 'crossing traffic'". Crossing Traffic? What "crossing traffic"? Birds? Invisible planes? Superman? UFO's? Where? :-spacecraft I was 1.85nm from the course line and he's having a panic attack!Naturally then, being from NYC, I asked for MORE deviations. All the one's I could find listed.Let this Nitwit try flying for a living here in NYC if he wants to see some crowded airspace over his neighborhood.I'm outta here.Captain Dad

:-lol thanks for the story. It's good to start the day with a chuckle!Maybe we need a range of post flight 'pilot comments' to go along with Doug's 'debriefs' ;-)The deviate for weather will be refused if you are within 25 miles of the next waypoint, how close you are to the planned route should not be an issue. Try requesting direct to a waypoint further on in your route then try requesting the deviation. (Oh and try not to hit the mountain while you are doing this. We'd hate to lose you!)All the best,John

Guest Captain Dad

John,Thanks, I'm glad someone is on my side!I enjoy making people laugh - makes me feel good.We really need a Terrain Deviation lateral/vertical manuever in this game. They are there in real life, why not here?And some snappy replies from the pilots at the end would help.Try that add-on from FS Global 2005 for a real thrill going past mountains. Here was my Boo-Boo flight in the Cessna Amphibian:Departure from IBN then CXC,K55,JOH (VOR) Ak97. 12,000 ft. Scattered clouds and other stuff along the way. Try it and tell me that you won't need a few deviations. :-spacecraft If I ever get the $1.85M needed for a real Cessna Amphibian I'm gonna hang out with those "bad boys" in Alaska in a New York minute.See Ya!Captain Dad

maybe i'm crazy, but wouldn't you as the flight planner, be responsible for making a plan that wouldn't cause you to fly into a mountain.i can understand deviations for weather, that is dynamic and always changing.but you know where a mountain is, and you know how high it is, so if you can't file high enough to fly over it, you should plan around it.just a thought.jd

Guest Captain Dad

True, of course. If I had every VFR Chart and Victor route in the world. But I don't...and neither do you. LOLBesides, whats the fun of mountain flying if you only go everywhere in a straight line? Then all I would "need" to fly is a ruler !Maybe next time it'll be the Wicked Witch buzzing past me!Anyway, it was fun, and a great program!:-spacecraft

Guest mmcevilley

>Naturally then, being from NYC, I asked for MORE deviations.>All the one's I could find listed.Also being from NYC, I thought you were going to say something else! ;-)-michael

Guest Captain Dad

You mean (Gasp) like profanity! In this city? No way! Not here! Reverend Al might get on my case. LOLGo Yankees!