Sign in to follow this  
greg100o

Missed approach question

I flew into San Diego via KLAX. I asked for weather when copilot asked me to and was told that KSAN was clear visibilty 40 miles. I accepted the runway on ATIS of 27 which has no ILS. After being vectored, it was apparent that there was a low overcast, and I could not visually see the runway. So I asked for missed approach and received it.At this point it was clear that I could not land visually so my best option was to request at that time an approach to ILS 09. But I could not find any logic that allowed me to ask for a vectored approach to that different runway. I was only offered vectored approach back to 27.Finally I asked for IAP to 09 and got myself there.Two questions:1. This appears again to be an example of weather being said to be clear, when it was not.{using ASV 6]2. Is it true that when asking for missed approach there is no way to request vectors to another runway besides the one I missed?Or did I miss something in my haste?ThanksGreg

Greg Clark

1) i read the weather straight from fs, via fsuipc. make sure you have the latest fsuipc, and all the AS updates2) after you miss, ask for vectors, once you are in the vectors, request runway should be available. it may only be available once you are vectored out, and then back in. i know it's there.jd

JD,Again I flew KLAX- KSAN via OCN with same weather as before. When copilot requests to leave for weather it reads clear visibility 40 miles, when it is again overcast. Assigned runway 27.Using ASV 6.Request missed approach. Response.. Fly XXX ClimbXXXSay intentions...1. Vectored approachAccept vectors..Fly XXX. Climb XXXAlways the runway reads 27L. I never found [as before] any option to change the runway I wanted vectors to.Only options wereRequest IAP approachRequest visual approach.Thus I do not see any way to change the runway for vectored approach after executing missed approach and there is still the issue [raised before] of getting incorrect weather.Any ideas?Greg

Greg Clark

i don't suppose you have a saved .rcd file before talking to approach?as far as the weather, there is something going on with your setup.the only way i'll know what's going on, is to see a .log - i only read the weather that is set by the weather program. i use asv6 and i get the right arrival weather when i ask for it. how far dme are you from the arrival airport when you ask for weather? (it needs to be less than 70 miles).how long a flight is this?launch rcv4click debugload the .plnclick start rcv4duplicate the problem(s)save a .rcd file before you talk to approach.then send me the .log (so i can see what the weather is doing), and the 3 files that will have the same name .rcd, .flt and .wxtell me in the email what is going on, so i will know what to look for when i get the attachments.

OK, I will do that.I repeated the approach one more time and found that using the delayed vectors option is the key to being able to change the runway you want.I did not save a log on this one, as I was flying whilst you were answering, but I cc an image of the vectoring around to get lined up for the changed runway. Ultimately it vectored me towards the CF point but did not ask me to descend so I was too high and I gave up at that point. many circuits asked for...Greg

Greg Clark

Guest lou ross

This doesn't answer your specific question, but there is a LOC Rwy 27 with MDA at 660' and 1 mile vis (cat C a/c 1 3/4 mi) at KSAN:-)