Sign in to follow this  
Guest AirForcePilot

Question

Hey JD. While enroute from KSEA to KSFO last night I picked up the ATIS 60nm out and it said 28L was in use. After I was handed off to approach the controller told me to expect vectors to 10L. I had Active Sky running in the background and the weather was down to minimums. Rwy 10L has an RNAV/GPS approach. I was flying the Flight1 MD-80 which doesn't have an RNAV or a GPS. I requested the ILS for Rwy 28L and the controller cleared me for the full approach. I contacted him again asking for vectors and he told me to expect vectors for 28L and then almost immediately afterward he told me to expect vectors for 10L again. I don't know if I can recreate the scenario because I had Active Sky running and since it uses real-world weather I don't think I can duplicate it. Any ideas? Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

probably at 60 miles out, i didn't see any ai landing or departing, so i picked the best runway based on weatherwhen you contacted approach, i saw ai landing 10L, so i gave you 10Lthen you changed it to 28Lthen when you contacted the second approach controller, he saw that everyone else was doing 10L, and wanted you to change againdang ai landing with the wind :-)

I think I was on with the same controller the whole time because the initial controller cleared me for the approach to 10L when I was like 30 miles out. I don't remember my copilot contacting a 2nd approach controller. Is there anyway for RC 5 to control AI aircraft? How do the AI decide which runway to use? If RC can see that the weather minimums are down to the point where an ILS is the only viable approach, can RC automatically choose the most favorable runway that is equipped with an ILS? I dropped down to an unsafe altitude where I could see the ground and flew a contact approach because I had the aircraft in front of me in sight. When I was on a short final, the AI were going around because a 747 was stopped on the runway while waiting to taxi. The taxiway the 747 was on was perpendicular to 10L but he was right in the middle of the runway. I landed anyway and crashed into him.....LOL. What a mess.

i'm not going to try to influence them, in regards to which runways they are going to use. i wouldn't even know how. i can point them in a direction, or make them climb or descend. but i can't and/or won't try to change their behaviourjd