Sign in to follow this  
davjones

Editing sound files?

Hello all -I've been a happy user or RCV4 for some time and it's now a part of my normal flying.But I'd like to do some minor editing of a few sound files in the Winwood folder, but when I try to open them I get the message "This file is not a valid 16-bit .wav file" (or something very close to that). This editor seems to work fine with all other .wav files.Anybody have any idea what this is all about? All I'm trying to do is remove the last sybable of the callsign 'aircalin' to make it 'AirCal.' Sounded simple, but you have to watch out for these "simple" projects because they always seem to be the ones that get you!Any help with this will be sincerely appreciated. ...DaveDave JonesFort McCoy, Florida USA

Hi Dave,All the wavs are 8-bit 11Khz mono. If you modify any make sure you save them in that format.I'd be surprised if any wavs were of a different format as all those for a particular controller or pilot were processed in one batch.Hope that helps.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,Sometimes it takes a problem to make you realize your ignorance -- I always thought a wav file was a wav file.Anyway, your post highlighted the problem, and set me on the path looking for a sound editor that can handle 8 bit mono .wav files. I found one and can now edit the files without any problem.I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the new files matched to the airline in c4.csv, but I'll look here in the forums where it may well already be explained.In case anyone else comes upon this thread in the future with the same problem, the program I used is called Encounter 2003 (freeware) and can be found at http://freeware.intrastar.net/.Thanks for your help, Ray! ...Dave

Hi Dave,Wavs are just that but they can be saved in loads of different formats all the way from 16-bit 24KHz Stereo all the way down to 8-bit mono. We use the lowest for two reasons - size and no need for a hi-fi sound.If you do edit c4.csv back it up first and always open it with Notepad - not the default of Excel. Disaster will surely follow if you do. Shout if you need clarification on anything.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather