Sign in to follow this  

Blurry Textures

I AGREE with you! I'm emphasizing that 'coz I think you think I'm arguing with you, and I'm not. Something isn't right with BA767's system, that's why I recommended staying away from tweaks until we figure out how to help him... Peace, 'bro....

BA767-Your pics look like Terrain Texture Size is set low--did you try maxing that setting? Your system runs rings around mine--I'm certain you can fix the problem....

Guest cwright

Jacek, this blurred textures question has been discussed many times before! Your photo is a good example but, particularly as the terrain is flat and it's a slow Cessna, it seems very extreme. One key question: if, when it's blurred, you hit the Pause key, do the textures return to normal after a few tens of seconds (up to a minute?) If they do return to normal than it's the classic dynamic blurred textures problem. It's caused by the mip map resolutions being updated *far* too slowly by FS. If so, you can do this to improve matters: 1. Reduce terrain complexity. 2. Use the lowest frame rate lock you can 3. Fly as slow as you can! This problem seems to be severe on some systems, while virtually non-existent on other similar systems. It's pretty bad on mine (P3 800 Mhz, GeForce 1, Win98SE). CFS2 also had this problem. Also, some screenshots of CFS3 show the classic signs of low resolution mip map blocks - but in these shots it is still using the FS2002 terrain engine. I have my fingers crossed that in CFS3 this problem will be fixed, but I'm not totally confident of this. I don't think anyone has found a 100% cure for the dyna-blurs. The only solution would have to come from Microsoft and there's not much chance of that. Best regards, Chris Wright

Guest PaulL01

>First, that's a loaded question :) I don't suggest a fixed >swap file for "best results" and I'd reprimand any of my >techs for going against that advice--it is a holdover from >the days systems had 64 megs (or less) of RAM. Yeah, I hear that all the time from the networking Guys (my Bro-inlaw@GE) and I would agree if you are setting up a general use PC, but if you talk to the performance gaming guys Fixed Swap is still recommended, benchmarking doesn't lie, and that fact of the matter is once you start writting to the swap file and it starts expanding the CPU will take a hit until the swap file mods have been completed. By creating a permanent swap file of a at least fixed minimum size and use the ConservativeSwapFileUsage settings as you have done these problems don't exist anymore, just ask some of the folks that keep winning the fastest webmaster contest over at Madionion, all of em are using a fixed swapfile, why? because it works, :) and the performance gains you see in benchmarking do extend themselve rather well to FS2k rather agressive use of ram and swapfile. I feel I'm a >fairly well qualified person to make that statement...so I >won't go any further on that one. I based my observations >on simple RAM usage, using System Monitor to track RAM usage >over time.... >>Bearing in mind I only have a 256 meg system, I became >curious when I applied the tweak, and my system started >writing to the swap file. So I ran system monitor with and >without the tweak applied. Without it, I was averaging >between 80-100 meg free, and with it, free RAM would drop to >around 50 megs, causing Windows to write to the swap file, >which it will do preemptively with remaining RAM, even when >the ConservativeSwapFileUsage flag is set (which has nothing >to do with a fixed swap file, for the uninitiated).... I do >see a difference, a better blending of textures into the >difference, but it wasn't worth it for me, Perhaps if I >ever get off my lazy bones and plop another 256 megs in my >system, I'll reconsider... I dont follow you here, sorry if I am missing somthing but with just 256mb of ram your system is going to write to the swapfile no matter what settings you use when using FS2k2 as far as I am aware it uses somewhere in the niehborhood of 300mb of ram, and you can keep on adding if you load the great 3rd party add-ons. >My system just hasn't been afflicted with the blurries as >much as some of the folks have shown, my results since >switching to the GeF 2 pretty much mirror what L. Adamson is >getting,You are limited to Aniso of 16tap, Larry is using a GF3 at aniso 32tapBut then I think this whole issue is confusing as again in this post this guy could be talking about his enitial settings (as you and I are discussing)or the "dynamic" bleeding off of texture detail solved by turning detail sliders down or solved by getting a more powerful setup. > but I still argue that the screenshots can mislead >folks into thinking that the textures are always that >"pristine"....I agree if that becoms the topic, but again It would seem that there is confusion about whether or not this is about "static bluriness" -initial graphic settings or "dynamic blurries".Take Care,Paul

Guest PaulL01

>I try many tips which I found on forums, but nothing help:( >I see blury textures under my plane, especially when I >change view from cockpit to outside, ground is blurry. >If someone have any idea please help. >Jacek,I saw your pic, that is bad man!First question, is this problem visible as soon as you start FS2k2 or only after time or when changeing views?second, what are your image quality settings (best/fast etc.)in the D3D menu tab of the Nvidia drivers setings menu and what driver version are you using?Paul

I kind of missed the bios thing. A friend of mine mentioned it helped him, but I never understood how to actually access the "Bios." I'm running windows 2000, with a GeForce 4 (PCI) card.

Guest Jack

JackDMany thanks to all participants in this thread!Having just lost ALL data I've been struggling to find the tweaks Ihad used get FS humming. I think you gentlemen have furnished 90% ofthe material I lost + some new. For this, you have my most sincere thanks!!! And thank you, Larry, for the 172 file in case you didn't get e-mail.Now, back to playing with razor blades.JackD

Hello Chris,I've a TNT2 Ultra and never get that cleared image that you have.Could you share your configs? Mine are:PIII 650Mhz256 Mb RAMHD 13 Gb (4Gb free)TNT2 Ultra 32 MbDetonator 28.90RivaTuner-20RC81 OS: Win XP HomeFS2K2:All sliders to max, whitout buildins shadows and dynamic scenery.(TERRAIN): default ones.FPS lock at 20.Screen resolution: 1152x864 32 bitsYou can e-mail if you want: martoni@ig.com.brTxs in advanced!

Martoni

"I dont follow you here, sorry if I am missing somthing but with just 256mb of ram your system is going to write to the swapfile no matter what settings you use when using FS2k2 as far as I am aware it uses somewhere in the niehborhood of 300mb of ram, and you can keep on adding if you load the great 3rd party add-ons."The Conservative swap edit does make a difference as you pointed out, but I let Windows manage the swap file. Why? It's never used on my system, and to set it up otherwise would be a waste of space. Free RAM has to fall to around 50-60 megs before the first signs swap file activity happens.... I've run system monitor for hours on end to prove this point to my junior techs, who come into the team with all guns blazing emphatically stating they know the system will page 'coz they heard it from some tech guru who knew Bill Gates, blah blah blah... With third party add-ons and/or mesh, sure RAM req's will be higher. I don't run third party add-ons, and my only mesh is the AZ Sedona/Meteor crater mesh that Orlando created. My system has never paged while FS2002 has been running, unless I launch another app or add to the texture load by applying the .cfg tweak. BTW, after seeing your comment on "networking guys" (and gals--Claire is one of our finest), my specialty is program deployment/network LAN/WAN support. I am much more involved on a workstation level than a normal network admin might be, and spend a fair amount of time doing deployment analysis on our workstations, which must handle image processing and CAD apps without any problems. I get to travel to our branch offices after product rollouts to verify performance, and audit the setup of workstations to make sure they conform with our baseline standards. I feel I have a good grasp on the subject :)Anyway, I'm off to the office. I'd rather dwell on BA767's problem.... Methink's there's something he hasn't yet checked, or known how to...

ok, so this happen after 1-2min of flying or when I change view.I check d3d menu and it was blank, in mipmap detail level nothing was select, which one should I select? I have 2942 driver.Thank YouJacek

Guest PaulL01

>Paul I don't have any fps hit with the anisotropy lod -1 Hi chris,Lod -1.0 or Lod -1.0, and what driver version? Lod minus -1.0 is very agresive, and unless you have applied the driver patch via GTU or Riva Tuner the driver will still be limited to a LOD of 0.0.Anisotropy is somthing else entirely, 16tap is the most you can get at driver level, if you enable any higher values of ansio /16/32/64 etc. you will get a sizeable performance hit respectivly, no matter what card or system you have.Paul

ok, so this happen when I fly 1-2min or when I change view.I check d3d menu, and in mipmap detail level nothing was select, its blank, which one should i select? I have 2942 driver.Thank YouJacek

Hey Chris,are the NvMax better then RivaTuner and how good is 22.50compared with 28.90?Tnx for reply!btw: what is your especs?

Martoni