Sign in to follow this  
Guest strychninekiss

QNH vs Alt check?

Guest strychninekiss

Hi guys!I just flew a short hop from EGLL to EIDW.When requesting Altimiter check, I instead got the qnh?Is this a standard that differs from the US?Cause when given for instance qnh 1010 I change it on the gauge to the right in the default 737 800.But still it does not change on the MIP?I maintained the correct alt all through and had no probs at all.I got an "exellent flight" =)regardsWilliam

I maintained the correct alt all through and had no probs at all.I'm afraid that could well have been just luck, William. A QNH of 1010hPa would give you a vertical difference of less than 100ft from the standard setting of 1013.2hPa. Unless you've changed it, that's well withing the permitted altitude deviation allowed by RC. Please, please do read the section in the manual on the European altimetry system used in RC and then, as jd suggests, fly the European tutorial. A little time invested doing this will save you a great deal of frustration and posts to the forum because you've been yelled at for "busting your altitude".Pete

And with a deep low pressure system crossing the southern British Isles today would be a good time for the return hop to Heathrow. Current pressure in Manchester is 997hPa and dropping fast!Hold on to your hats or rugs! :-hah

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In less than 5 hours the pressure here has dropped a further 15hPa. Now down to 982hPa.Out of curiosity I flew EGLL-EIDW and on approach the wind was 260/38 dropping to 26kts on the ground. Low cloud and rain made for an interesting approach with the runway only appearing 1/2 mile out.If anyone wants to fly this download the weather for 1300GMT Sat 8 December.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest strychninekiss

yes i really should have checked the manual and tutorial first...Sorry!I

Hi William,Don't worry, you're not the first person to misunderstand Transition Altitudes :-)There's a small knob on the altimeter that adjusts pressure. Use the mouse to adjust to 29.92 / 1013.2 when standard pressure is required and to whatever QNH is reported to you.All covered in the manual. :-)

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest strychninekiss

Sweet!Yes Ive got the hang of it now =)Thanks Ray!