Sign in to follow this  
flightsimmer747

understanding flt wx button and building database, and adv display

I read through the manual, but 3 things not covered,1.flt wx button in 4.3 not previous versions, whats this for?2.When building database i located the path manually is this all i had to do, point it to fs9?3.As for adv display, i cant find it, the manual shows the full installation with fsuipc, adv, chatters etc...in the list but the actual exe file does not show adv, am i supposed to manually install it. Not in modules in fs9 tab.*No more "search for update button" either in 4.3.Sorry for the questions but it seems the manual wasn't updated. I never owned previous versions so im trying to learn it all at once!

1) defines the path to where the .flt/.wx files are stored. usually "my documentsflight simulator files"i need to know this, to write a rc save file (.rcd)2) everybody has different scenery, everybodies runway thresholds are in different places. by building the rc database on your machine, i know where your runways and airports are3) no update button. never worked, took it out in 4.3you can get an updated manual at www.jdtllc.com/v4/rcv43.pdf which explains the display functionality. you do not need advdisplay.dlljd

To not start another post, i would like to know if default atc can be used for ground control, would i not be able to use it temporarily until i get to the runway and then use RC?How are transatlantic flights handled, is it still frequency changes as default atc every so often?Thanks I really appreciate it!

i think there is a section in the manual on how to use both default atc and rcbut why would you? you have to use rc ground to get to rc tower.oceanic flights are switched from control center to control centerjd

There is no progressive taxi. You have to know where the taxiways are and the runway. The best way to do this is to print them out or if your lucky like me I have pilot books for every airport in the US Mexico and Canada. it will show you how to taxi to the taxiway and to the runway just like a roadmap.

"...but why would you?"There are a couple of things that MS ATC does that are helpful.1) The MS ATC ground controller gives you a route, with taxiway numbers (Also the progressive taxi arrows if you care to use them, but I hate them and don't.). For arrivals, it's a little iffy, because you may want to go somewhere on the field other than where it sends you. For departure, it's very helpful. I've gotten in the habit of having printed airport diagrams handy now. You can make them from AFCAD if you can't find the one you want on line. Sometimes the ones on line differ from the FS airports and that can be confusing too.2) The other issue is conflict avoidance. While far from perfect, MS ATC attempts to avoid taxiway conflicts and issues "...hold for the..." instructions as needed. I wouldn't trade away anything RC does in order to get those things back in a million years. If there was a way to have both, well, that would be a plus. RC is so much better than MS ATC in every other way that there's just no comparison.

1) in v5 i will give you the bearing and distance to the runway threshold. but you will still need a chart. on arrival, you will need a chart, but i will send you to your gate you specified in the rc interface before starting. if you didn't specify a gate, i will find a gate that your aircraft's "company" has slotted, and is unoccupied. if all of your "companies" gates are occupied, i find a gate that is at least the same size, as the gate you left from. if all else fails, i will "nuke" an ai at a gate.2) in v5, i will detect potential ground conflicts, and tell the ai to hold, and freeze the ai if necessary. i will also detect when you are about to cross an active runway, with an ai taking off, or on finaljd

to fs? you don't have to. i find it useful for navigating in fs, though, since fs knows where i am goingjd

@ little things upon arriving 1. controller said descend to FL 70 which it should not be flight level nor should it be pronounced 70, rather 7000 (ft), just thought id mention it, and secondly when given landing clearence i don't think my pilot ever responded, basically "cleared to land" and that was it, mind you i did do a wind check right at the same time.Besides little occurences like this my 1st flight was amazing and it was fun, my arrival airport was much easier (without diagram) to taxi to gate as i know the airport quite well and other planes were taxing around me to get to the runway. Great sim and looking forward to V5 to close off some other minor stuff, i hope the coding will work with fs9. Co pilot feature btw was amazing no more keeping default atc at idle to cruise with old atc.I would of liked flightwatch to give me destination conditions when asking for wx, not sure if it did but if it did the weather changed drastically for my arrival, unless it gave me my alternate.Cant think of anything else right now, but great work! Pilot voices were not so robotic as i expected, they were very clear! other pilot chatter is nonexistent in some places like the carribean but what a great feature while i was over the US.

if the transition level is less than FL70, then FL70 is absolutely correct.where were you flying to?read the section in the manual about transition altitudes and transition levels. that may help clear up your misunderstanding about the descent clearancejd