Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest LarsKluver

Small stupid question

Guest LarsKluver

I have always wondered, but never asked. At departure i'm told to climb to e.g. 5000 ft. - expect flightlevel 350 - in 10 minutes. How on earth should i reach FL 350 in 10 min. ? Maybe the spaceshuttle can do that, but non of the regular airplanes i've seen... :)

You must be flying the Wright Flyer, Lars :)The phrasing means to expect _clearance_ to FL350 in ten minutes, that is your filed FL. It does not mean that you have to be at FL350 in ten minutes but you can start climbing to it.If you listen to some of the ground ATC or CD at http://www.liveatc.net/ you will hear on someof them typical CDs and in many cases you will hear that phrase. I believe it may be in some of the departure plate commentaries as well.With a jet at about eight to ten minutes you'll be at maybe FL280 or so when you'll get the _clearance_ to your filed level up that high.Regards - I'm still around :)

Guest Lars_Kluver

Hahaha - yes, Ron, i have felt something like that was what i was flying.. :))So - that is what that phrase means. I've been wondering about that ever since i started with Radar Contact, but have, strangely enough, never asked. Well - i never get to old to learn anything new.. :)Good to see that you're still around. Maybe i'm passing you right now, making a flight from KOMA to KDEN. Don't spend that much time in the forum's anymore. My work take most of my time and when i then have the time, i would rather be flying. Some oft he old are still to be seen at FSVC, but it's not like in the old days. Got a glimpse of Alex in the FSX forum. Seems he has upgraded and now is on a tour around the world. A lot of it i recognize from John Consterdines trip. (His flightplan is to be seen somewhere).Realize i've had this hobby for 14 years now. Guess it's the same with you? No Radar Contact in these days. It was with a map in front of me while constantly monitoring the lattitude and longitude (shift+z) LOLAre going to Scotland again in september, so soon i'll be in a real plane again. :) Hope you're allrigt.CheersLars