Sign in to follow this  
Team_P3DSpacePort

Spaceflight dynamics module for FSX

Hello all,

I've been working on this project for quite a while now, and as of a few months ago, I've overcame a major go-nogo hurdle, so I am extremely excited to announce this: 

I've coupled FSX with a SimConnect DLL that utilizes a third-party fully-featured physics library to create an add on that will allow FSX to simulate spaceflight through a high-fidelity ballistic astrodynamic flight model. The physics model has highly capable set of features which will allow FSX users to define launch "stack" architecture in minute details, utilizing existing FSX SDK tools to create content and expand on the FSX functionality to push FSX into Earth orbit and outer space. This is NOT slew-driven engine; this is a completely new flight model that overrides FSX's existing flight model and re-defines the object using astrodynamic properties.

Major features of the spaceflight dynamics module:

• deterministic, non-iterative dynamics solver
  • fully-featured, high-fidelity collision engine
  • precise point-force modelling (not just torques applied over major axis)
  • ability to assemble a launch "stack" and simulate launch, staging and orbit insertion
  • ability to build (assemble) and maintain persistent orbital structures
  • ability to dock with other objects in orbit, and to swap user control

User will be able to design content with all the usual FSX SDK tools, and expand it with a set of spaceflight-specific features to define it as a spaceflight object, be it payload, manned capsule, cargo, booster, main lifter, mating adapter, or whatever. While the current FSX limitations prohibit venturing too far from Earth (but far enough to have fun  :wink: ), I've been exploring ways on how to simulate trip form Earth to other solar system bodies and I've had a few promising results. That, however, is a long term plan. For now, I'll include a few screenshots of the test scenarios I've been running while developing this engine. Enjoy!

Screenshot%202016-09-29%2003.39.33.jpgScreenshot%202016-09-22%2023.40.54.jpg

Screenshot%202016-09-29%2003.39.18.jpg

Screenshot%202016-09-13%2012.07.11.jpg

Screenshot%202016-04-29%2002.21.29.jpg

Screenshot%202016-04-20%2013.45.28.jpg

Screenshot%202015-06-28%2003.47.23.jpg

Screenshot%202015-06-28%2003.46.36.jpgScreenshot%202015-05-14%2003.41.34.jpgOrion_Render05_22_11_2015%20copy.jpg

Orion_Render02_22_11_2015%20copy.jpg

• Upvote 3

P3D SpacePort Team