Sign in to follow this  
Ecosse_821

Ozark Airlines Mid-seventies DC-9-30 Aircraft

Hi all.  My home airline was Ozark (CMI).  Most commonly, we would get a DC-9-30 or -40 aircraft on most flights.

I am trying to find out if these aircraft were equipped with an INS type navigation system, or were they strictly VOR/NDB radio navigation?  

David Norman Paul

Given that they were short haul aircraft on short haul routes, I expect the INS was not installed. Maintenance was expensive and the time to align was excessive for the usage these aircraft got.

DJ

They did have a few routes that were a little longer, like CMI-LGA, CMI-SAN, CMI-IAD.   But you are correct, they did have some fairly short routes.  

Heck, given that I think they purchased most of their aircraft used from other airlines, they may have had some with, some without INS.   I'd love to know for sure.

David Norman Paul

I well remember their F-27s and DC-9s at DCA and, later, IAD.  There is a fair amount of data on line regarding their routes, advertising, and aircraft, but not the equipment of the aircraft. I do know that most of the -9s were ex-TWA so that might be another area to look into.  You might get in touch with these folks https://airandspacemuseum.org/news/?tag=ozark-airlines and see if they can help.

DJ

• Upvote 1