Sign in to follow this  
airernie

[SOLVED] Ability to restore on close

I've noticed that the fsx.cfg, dll.xml, etc. files in AppData\Roaming have been altered from the originals.  In fact if I select FSX from my desktop I get a Profile 2 splashscreen which doesn't the one I have specified in SIMstarted.

What I'm wondering is if there could be an option, that could be be checked  that would automatically restore the core files in the AppData, ProgramData, etc. folders to the master profile.

This would enable the ability to occasionally use another program, such as SimLauncherX or do a non-SIMstarter launch of FSX.  Currently, once you've elected to use SIMstarter, your original configuration files are no longer easily available.

I know that they probably exist under \userprofiles or \backup, but I'm not sure that I could find them given the naming conventions.

Thanks,

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

It looks like I may have been wrong in my assumptions and that it may already be working correctly. 

After some investigation it appeared that the digisplash.bmp file in the FSX\Uires directory had gotten overwritten by the SIMstarter_Set2-1.bmp file. 

Therefore when I was starting FSX using the FSX icon, rather than SIMstarter I was seeing an incorrect splashscreen, which led me to a wrong assumption.

Thanks for your hardwork.  SIMstarter is among my top goto FSX apps.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

[...]

Thanks for your hardwork.  SIMstarter is among my top goto FSX apps.

Ernie

You are welcome. I am happy, that everything works like espected.

In addition:

I am not really happy about the mechanism of the SIMstarter SplashScreen handling at the moment, because he is overwriting the "uires\dlgsplash.bmp" file. If you are starting your sim without SIMstarter (usualy nobody need to) it could be possible that SIMstarter was not able to revert that copy action. In these cases the wrong SplashScreen is in place.

But you can easily copy your correct SplashScreen from "\SplashScreens\FSX\FSXdefault.bmp" to "uires\dlgsplash.bmp".

Next generations of SIMstarter will become a much better handling of that issue to avoid confusion.

If you would like to make regular backups of your simulator files I highly recommand using my tool SIMconfigBackup. From my point of view the easyiest and fastes way making regular backups.

: : : aviation.pero-online.de
Developer of SIMstarter NG P3D & Homecockpit Builder

Thanks Pero,

Oddly, the "\SplashScreens\FSX\FSXdefault.bmp" got overwritten by the SIMstarter_Set1 splashsreen in addition to the one if "FSX\Uires".  Not sure what happened.  

I ended up going back to an old back up to find the original so I could copy it back to both locations.

As for starting without SIMstarter.. I've done that a couple times.  Sometimes becasue I just want to start up FSX to run some tests and don't want to wait for SIMstarter to load first, so I can launch FSX.

I've also been playing with SimLauncherX to see if I could use some of its non-launching features, such as the moving map, etc. on a client machine.

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem