Sign in to follow this  
737freak

200ER discussion deleted?

Dear moderators,

Couple of days ago, I participated in a topic about differences between the 200ER & 200LR. It was an interesting discussion, but now it seems to have vanished.

Am I missing something? Could somebody shed some light on this?

Thank you very much.

Henk de Vries

Couple of days ago, I participated in a topic about differences between the 200ER & 200LR. It was an interesting discussion, but now it seems to have vanished.

Am I missing something? Could somebody shed some light on this?

Thank you very much.

It wasn't signed. Posts that aren't signed get removed. Super simple stuff.

(I'm hoping the Aussies catch the joke in there, despite the seriousness of the rules.)

• Upvote 3

Kyle Rodgers

I get it Kyle no problem,   but i want other people to prove they get it as well by posting the answer   :Whistle:  :Big Grin:

It wasn't signed. Posts that aren't signed get removed. Super simple stuff.

(I'm hoping the Aussies catch the joke in there, despite the seriousness of the rules.)

Thanks for the reply, Kyle. I appreciate it.  :smile:

I understand that unsigned posts get deleted, but why delete a whole topic? Why should contributing users fall victim to a user who does not sign his posts? It really takes away from the motivation to contribute to discussions if my rule-following contributions get deleted. 

This makes be think twice before sharing knowledge here. 

As a compromise, it would a lot more sense to just delete the OP, but leave the rest of the topic be.  :wink:

Henk de Vries

Let me be clear: I fully understand and agree with the reasoning behind the full name policy and deleting violating posts. The justification of this rule is not in question here and not part of the discussion. 

What is part of the question is if deleting a whole topic outweighs the added value of contributing user who do follow the rules. If it does, I seriously question if community contributions are appreciated and valued here.

Henk de Vries

I understand that unsigned posts get deleted, but why delete a whole topic? Why should contributing users fall victim to a user who does not sign his posts? It really takes away from the motivation to contribute to discussions if my rule-following contributions get deleted. 

Because hiding the original post automatically hides all subsequent posts. Simply a fact of how the forum software here works.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Because hiding the original post automatically hides all subsequent posts. Simply a fact of how the forum software here works.

IP Board mod tools should allow to select all posts except the OP and split them off to a new/seperate topic, allowed to delete the unsigned OP. 

But if 'simple as that' is the attitude towards simply deleting user-contributed content without any second thought of its value. If it is that black & white, then I will hold my silence and not contribute anymore. It's quite depressing if I spend time in looking into stuff and crafting a reply when just some mod deletes it without thinking twice...

Henk de Vries

IP Board mod tools should allow to select all posts except the OP and split them off to a new/seperate topic, allowed to delete the unsigned OP. 

That's an AVSIM issue, and the suggestion should go to them.

But if 'simple as that' is the attitude towards simply deleting user-contributed content without any second thought of its value. If it is that black & white, then I will hold my silence and not contribute anymore... 

It was a joke, as noted by the text under the statement:

queensland-rail_train-etiquette_josh+cop

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Good to know that censorship is treated like 'joke material' and invites a joking attitude towards serious matters: that sure helps the case for appreciating user contributions. 

I bring this up in a rational and respectful manner with justifiable concerns & arguments and I was hoping to discuss it a equally professional manner, but instead I get this quasi-humorous, tad-arrogant attitude instead of a proper discussion of the subject.

I fully understand that you are bombarded with stuff related to the full name policy, which takes away from the overall patience for this subject. However, I am not discussing this policy (as i sad, I fully agree with it).

I am just making you aware that blindly following the policy creates collateral damage. But if user contributions from innocent users are fine being collateral damage in your view, then there is nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

Henk de Vries

Good to know that censorship is treated like 'joke material' and invites a joking attitude towards serious matters: that sure helps the case for appreciating user contributions.  

Henk,

I added the joke to keep the commentary lighthearted.

I bring this up in a rational an respectful manner with justifiable concerns & arguments and I was hoping to discuss it a equally professional manner, but instead I get this quasi-humorous, tad-arrogant attitude instead of a proper discussion of the subject.

If it were truly professional, then the passive aggressive statement of "f it is that black & white, then I will hold my silence and not contribute anymore" would not have been used. Based on this last post, it wasn't meant to be a professional discussion, and rather an argument, as each one of your posts has gotten more and more passively undermining. I put up with it initially in an effort to offer an explanation for what happened, as a courtesy. The direction it has gone in since then, however, just reminds me of why we have Rule #4, here.

I fully understand that you are bombarded with stuff related to the full name policy, which takes away from the overall patience for this subject. However, I am not discussing this policy (as i sad, I fully agree with it).

Correct, and none of us have the time to spend here reading every...single...post...to determine its relativistic value to the community as a whole, or to the community here. Instead, it's so much simpler for everyone here to abide by the rules.

I am just making you aware that blindly following the policy creates collateral damage. But if user contributions from innocent users are fine being collateral damage in your view, then there is nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. 

I don't recall saying that it couldn't be discussed? Why not start off a new thread to continue the discussion while following the rules?

Forum Etiquette and Following the Rules...

Super Simple Stuff!

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers