Sign in to follow this  
Stearmandriver

Does MCE recognize the command "Bug Up" in the PMDG NGX?

Hi all,

That's pretty much the whole question.  I managed to burn my trial time without testing this (entirely my fault, I shouldn't have installed it until I had several days to mess with it, but I was eager to try it so i installed while I only had one night to mess with it).  The command "Bug Up" is used pretty commonly in the 737, and refers to setting the speed bug to the clean maneuver speed, denoted as the word "up" on the airspeed tape.  This phrase is important to a couple abnormal procedures I'm hoping to re-create.  Does anyone know if MCE will be able to understand this, or if there's a way to create a voxscript that will do it?

Thanks...

Andrew Crowley

Its been a while since I flew an NGX, but does the magenta Airspeed Cursor not move to the speed set in the IAS window upon command, or the computed IAS speed, when the IAS/Mach window is blank?

Flaps up airspeed or clean manoeuvre speed below fl200 being 200.

I don't think MCE does the "Bug up", only EPR bugs can be set verbally/Vox Scripted.

Cheers

David

Thanks David.

Yeah, MCE can set the speed bug to a specific commanded speed (when the window is open on the MCP). The thing is, clean maneuver speed changes with weight - the UP bug on the airspeed tape is usually somewhere between 205kts and 220kts at takeoff on an -800. The "bug up" command is used in a few different situations, but the most significant is probably in the V1 cut profile. At accel height, the PF commands "bug up" and follows flight director commands to accelerate and clean up on schedule. (If Vnav was already selected, the speed window will open in case of an engine failure).

So I guess if MCE can't follow the "bug up" command, that'll be the one thing I found that the "other" voice control software does that this doesn't. MCE still comes out far ahead.

I guess I can just create a voxscript that uses the "bug up" command to set a speed of 215kts, right? That'll be ballpark...

Thanks!

Andrew Crowley

I guess I can just create a voxscript that uses the "bug up" command to set a speed of 215kts, right? That'll be ballpark...

It's not currently possible to create scripted commands that dial things like "set speed XXX" or "COM one, one eighteen seven".

We already have commands such as "set speed V2" or "select approach speed".

Will just need to create a new set of commands such as 

set speed for clean configuration

select flaps up speed

..and a few other variations

set green dot speed (for airbus types)

You will then just need to create your "Bug Up" command to make it act like an alias for one of the above commands.

A 215 knots sounds about right for many jets, even if as you mentioned, it can vary a bit with weight.

(If Vnav was already selected, the speed window will open in case of an engine failure).

Thanks Andrew, I was thinking that with VNav selected and the FMC speed restrictions/ Accel height input correctly, the speed bug goes to FMC SPD automatically on reaching the Accel height. I get what you are after, the initial climb to Accel height on A/T without VNav, then you can command "Bug Up".....

I've Spent too long flying without any FMC... :fool:

set speed for clean configuration

Command "Bug Up to clean"...alias, Vox Script=(set speed for clean configuration")..Very super cool :smile: I am just happy with setting the EPR...LOL :wink:

MCE rules ok! :dance:

Cheers

David

The command "Bug Up" is used pretty commonly in the 737

Command "Bug up" is now built into the latest package.

Un-install previous version via Windows Control Panel.

Download very latest to your desktop, unzip and run "InstallMCE". Should be all you need to do

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

By default bug up is set at 215 for all jet aircraft. You can however change it via voice by telling him the exact figure for the flight.

Our clean configuration speed is XXX

He'll ask you to confirm the value he repeats is correct.

After that FO will dial the intended speed.

Nice, thanks Gerald!

I've been customizing the heck out of MCE, got all our normal checklists and procedures done, was just going to start on abnormals, so this is timely ;-).

Andrew Crowley