•  

In Loving Memory Of

Tom Allensworth,
Founder of AVSIM Online

AVSIM Online
Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.

Photo

Rethinking Data Link Function

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TszChun

TszChun

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:18 AM

Hello all,

What do you guys think of the principle of data link function in PMDG 777. When I flied FSX, I used to use it with Active Sky in my every flight to get wind data and descent forecast. Here is my understanding of how the function works:

I selected departure runway and SID, MANUALLY entered the route WITHOUT selecting STAR.

When I clicked WIND DATA REQUEST in RTE DATA page, it seemed that a RTE file was automatically generated in documents/P3D v3 files/ by the 777 which was then read by AS16.

After that, AS16 acknowledged my route by reading that RTE file, and created a WX file containing wind data of waypoints in PMDG/WX folder.

The FMC loaded that WX file and display wind data in RTE DATA page.

I would like to ask you guys two questions:

1. Do I still need to manually load the route into AS16 flight plan page? Or it will be automatically loaded into AS16 after I activate the route in FMC?

2. How come AS16 knows my attitude to reach waypoints when the RTE file generated does not contain expected FL?

3. If I modify the route in cruising stage, let's say adding a STAR at the end of the activated route, will I be able to REQUEST WIND DATA again for the STAR waypoints newly inserted?

Anson

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz // ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO // G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3000MHz CL15 8GB // INNO3D iCHILL GTX770 4GB OC // Corsair h110iGT

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 pcubine

pcubine

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:12 PM

I would like to ask you guys two questions:

You have three questions.

1) No. The route is loaded automatically when you request the winds.

2) AS16 does not know your altitude at any waypoint. The altitude is just a guess by AS16.

3) Yes. Just request the winds after you have entered the STAR. However, a major part of the STAR will be traversed during descent. So the descent forecast is what applies to the STAR. Maybe the first two or three waypoints might be at your cruise altitude in which case a wind request would handle those waypoints.
Michael Cubine
47D0Fa.jpg
LQgjDX.jpg

#3 downscc

downscc

Member - 8,000+

• Members
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:14 PM

The Introduction document has a fairly good explanation of all this. You'd save time by referring to it.

Dan Downs

#4 TszChun

TszChun

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:07 AM

You have three questions.

1) No. The route is loaded automatically when you request the winds.

2) AS16 does not know your altitude at any waypoint. The altitude is just a guess by AS16.

3) Yes. Just request the winds after you have entered the STAR. However, a major part of the STAR will be traversed during descent. So the descent forecast is what applies to the STAR. Maybe the first two or three waypoints might be at your cruise altitude in which case a wind request would handle those waypoints.

That's exactly what I think! But last time I flied the 777, the STAR waypoints could not get wind data when I requested, while the others are OK...

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Intel Core i7-6700K @4.6GHz // ASUS ROG Maximus VIII HERO // G.SKILL Ripjaws V 3000MHz CL15 8GB // INNO3D iCHILL GTX770 4GB OC // Corsair h110iGT

#5 downscc

downscc

Member - 8,000+

• Members
  • 11,762 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

the STAR waypoints could not get wind data when I requested, while the others are OK...

The LEGS waypoints after TOD do not receive wind info, that is what the descent forecast page is used for.

Dan Downs

#6 pcubine

pcubine

Member - 3,000+

• Members
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:16 AM

That's exactly what I think! But last time I flied the 777, the STAR waypoints could not get wind data when I requested, while the others are OK...

I did not reply to your question because it was already answered in post #2, answer #3 and Dan Downs has reiterated it again. If you have a particular route and STAR list it here. I need your cruise altitude, any step climbs involved, your cost index, date and time (UTC)of departure for the flight.
Michael Cubine
47D0Fa.jpg
LQgjDX.jpg