Sign in to follow this  

Very Important Wind Component Question

How in the world do I know what to figure the wind compoent will be for a flight. In the manual, it says that when planning fuel consumption for a flight, I must add the wind component to the calculations. They give an example of flying from E to West, & they assume that there will be a constant headwing of 75kts. How would they know what to assume, & how would they get THAT number 75 even if they know that the wind will generally be a head wind. Also, are there general guidelines for figuring wind components & speeds - ie - E to West - generally headwinds, W to E - generally tail winds - usually at X knots? Etc.Really need to know this! :-)Thanks a ton,Chris Catalano

The best site I've found for weather information is the NOAA's Aviation Weather Center at:http://aviationweather.noaa.gov/. Try clicking on "Standard Brief" and "Flight Folder."And in general, you will usually encounter tailwinds flying west to east, and headwinds flying east to west due to the jetstream.Jon (KSEA)

Chris,This is the reason Airlines hire Dispatchers :-lolI 'm guessing the 75 knot figure is an average headwind for East to West travel. You will notice that airline timetables always allow additional time for the same route from East to West vs West to East to allow for the typical headwind component. I am sure there is a way to figure this manually but not without a lot of effort on your part. I assume you would have to get accurate winds aloft for your entire route and somehow average it, or figure it leg by leg. personally I would figure a 75 knot headwind and add a little contingency fuel just for good measure and call it good. Just my OpinionRegardsPaul :-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

What's an airline dispatcher? Or is this just a joke that has gone completely over my 35 year-old bald head? :-)Also, what would be a reasonable way to treat the wind if flying from nort to south, or south to north since now you would generally have a cross wind? Do you still use an average number of 75? What do you think?Thanks,Chris

ChrisDispatchers set up the Flight Plans, Check Enroute weather, Work out weight and balance solutions and set Fuel Loads for commercial airlines. As I am sure Robert could testify, a good dispatcher is worth his/her weight in gold. So far as the wind component flying N to S or vice versa. I guess I would use a direct 75 kt crosswind for and average and see how the numbers come out. RegardsPaul:-cool

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Chris,Join up with America West Virtual Airlines at http://www.avwa.net and you'll learn in a hurry what a dispatcher is. They accomodate us on the 757-200ER for Fly!II there. It also gives you flights for your B752 with minimal flight planning on your own. You'll have a whole page of info for throwing into the FMC and VATSIM flight plans.John S. MorganReal World: KSFF, Cessna 152 994JP, Student 16+ hours.Virtual: Fly!II, KPHX, AWVA, PMDG Boeing 757-200.

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Chris,We have been over this before. You really do *need* to study the chapter of the Machado's book how winds are used in calculations. Your question only shows you have not done your homework. Taking about "headwinds" may be fine in some cases but as a general rule this is not the way you solve a general wind problem. There may be no headwind, zero, and yet aircraft will still be slowed down by the winds. You have to see how you compute the ground speed - this is the key number. Again, you are only fooling yourself if you think you can pick up this knowledge by reading replies on this forum. Sorry for being so blunt.Michael J.

Perhaps if you had checked the date on that post that you are only finally getting around to read now, you would have seen it was from JULY 27th. I have LONG SINCE read that material & have thoroughly learned how to calculate winds & all related material (including ground speed), how to thoroughly read weather charts, FDs in string notation, etc. Now I am having amazing success now with my fuel calculations. Makes total sense to me now. Notice how there were no other questions related to that post since that July 27th. Alot can happen in two weeks. Sorry for being so blunt. Chris

>Perhaps if you had checked the date on that post that you >are only finally getting around to read now, Ouch, sorry... silly of me. Forgive me Chris.Michael J.

Forgive me Chris.No problem whatsoever - thanks for all your knowledge. It has really helped me a great deal. Sincerely,Chris