Sign in to follow this  

Add-On Scenery - Is there a limit?

Guest Heather 636

I have been working all day installing scenery files with very few, if any problems; until now.I have repeatedly tried to install a folder,Beluga Lake, into my "Add-On Scenery" folder. No problem.I then, from within FS, and as I have been doing with no problem, bring up the menu, go into "World/Scenery Library," click on "Add Area" find the appropriate folder, etc etc., then click OK.It goes through its regular routine of adding scenery files, data, etc., but when I try "Go To Airport" (after it has supposedly installed) and then "Search Add-On Scenery, nothing. What I have supposedly added, isn't showing up!!Looking at the scenery.cfg file, I now have 150 areas. It seems like I saw another post just recently that mentioned that there is a limit.Anyway, can anyone enlighten me here?Things have been progressing just fine all day and now . . . .Fiddle Dee Dee, Tarnation and Horse Feathers !!!

> It >seems like I saw another post just recently that mentioned >that there is a limit. There was. Search for it.Michael J.

Guest Heather 636

I would, except i have no recollection of what the topic was. If this is indeed true. Can additional scenery be added directly into the root folder "scenery" folder?Heather

Guest Heather 636

I just went in and added another scenery folder with no problem. Therefore, the problem must be with the files I had installed that do not show up.I still wouldn't mind knowing what that limit is though, if someone knows it.Thanks.Heather

>I would, except i have no recollection of what the topic >was. >You don't need it. You need some key words like "limit" .. etcI reckon you never used search utility before.Michael J.

Guest Heather 636

Thanks Michal, found it (and bookmarked).And yes, I have used the search feature before. It's just that after you've been doggedly pursuing an objective for over fourteen hours, you get a little addled and not thinking as clearly. But you got me on the right track.Thanks,Heather

Whatever the limit is, it's not that low - I have now 279 scenery areas after cleaning up a lot of stuff, it was up in the 340s at one point.Cheers,Gosta.

Hmm, must have been the low number of exclude switches that allowed me to go over the limit. Also, one thing that worked for me, I bundled various sceneries into area folders, for example, I have lots of Italian airports, (most by the same author), so I just created a folder called 'Italy' with the usual scenery and texture subfolders, and moved all the bgls end textures to the new folder. Considering the amount of duplicate textures, this saved quite a bit of space and it's just one entry in the 'scenery.cfg'.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest Heather 636

That sounds like a real good idea Gosta. I have a lot of scenery files by the same authors who, like you mentioned, use repeat textures.I'm around 160 files installed now and still a lot to go. I may just do what you said before I go any farther to clean things up and save space.It's a new day, I've slept and have coffee; I'm ready for anything. :)Cheers!Heather

Hi Heather,glad you like the idea. It's basically what MS had in mind, when they put in the Addon Scenery folder. But then, I'd like to have control over which sceneries I'd like to keep and which not (and trying to find a particular bgl file among hundreds is bit of a drag, let alone the corresponding textures), so I thought this would be a good compromise - have it all in manageable chunks...Cheers,Gosta.

Heather,Personally, I don't think there's a limit. Only limit (of sorts) would be the number of bgl files for one area. For instance, if you had 100 different bgl files just for one airport, your frame rate might suffer or else certain scenery wouldn't show because FS buffer would be too full (and I don't know just how big the buffer is). The buffer is like a reservoir, if it's full to the brim, one more quart of water put in will cause another quart to spill out.I have one folder (which adds jetways to airports) with over 215 different bgl files. Since each bgl is for a different airport, only one will be loaded into the buffer when I approach that airport. I guess FS is constantly checking its scenery files to see if any file is within the area of your aircraft and it determines if it should be seen or not by range parameters, etc.Have a great day!What's the difference between God and pilots? God doesn't think he's a pilot. ;)

Heather,Got the following from a site after searching for "scenery limit FS2002". It is from a Q&A section:Q: I've seen a number of figures for the number of scenery files one can list in scenery.cfg, anywhere from 200 to 350, a big difference! Do know if there is any exact limit or if it might be dependent on the size or type of scenery files? Can't it be patched? ...A: I don't remember the exact number, but I believe it was either 314 or 324. It is not dependent on the type of scenery and there is no patch. A possible workaround is to combine several areas.Apparently, the limit is in the number of scenery areas, not bgl files. Your idea of combining related areas into one discreet area, as suggested above seems to be the best bet.Best regards,