Sign in to follow this  
Mac_Paint

Framerate tip

Captains,I was getting pretty dismal framerates at SimFlyers KLAX and Ultimate Traffic, even with the default aircraft. After multiple driver and sim setting changes I decided to trash my FS9 config files and let the program create new ones. After making some of the config file changes recommended on the MSFS forum for COF, this is what I now get at KLAX. Traffic was reduced to @60% in this shot but I've upped it to 80%, both of which still provide plenty of AI traffic. My PMDG 737NG and Ultimate Traffic with most of COF eye candy turned on is back to where it was prior to UT's install. If you're seeing low framerates and nothing else is working for you, try starting over with a new set of FS9 config files.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/49133.jpg

Guest MightyMatt76

Hi Pete,Could you share your system specs with us please?Matthew NiederbergerEditor In Chief / FS Magazine

FSM-banner-400x60.gif[a href=http://www.fsmagazine.nl]Visit FS Magazine, the Dutch Flight Simulation Portal[/a]

Abit NF7 MoboAthlon 2800+1GB Corasir DDR 433 PC3500 RamATI 9700 ProWD 80GB HDAudigy SoundcardI think that's the relavent bits. I retested my results going back to KLAX and loading similar settings. My best bang for buck is to set traffic between 60% - 70% and disable the water animation in FS9.Here's another screenshot from that retest. Shadows are enabled but at this low angle, and some driver setting I have, it disappears.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/49155.jpg

Guest LLgaz

I have the Simflyers KLAX but I haven't installed it because of the FPS hit. What I'm interested in is what your frame rate is on final approach (say from 5NM out) with the AI traffic at that level from the 2D panel. I don't have a problem with low FPS in external view like that because with a panel as immersive as the PMDG panel, I spend less than 10% of my time in spot view. However, in my experience, the finals, at 5 - 10 FPS is rather difficult especially with a difficult crosswind and limited visibility.So if you could post a pic. of your 2D panel on finals (say 2NM) with your FPS, or just tell me what the FPS is.

Anthony,I'd love to do that for you but, I suck big time on flying. I spend most of my time painting and when I do get into the cockpit, it's only to take-off and look out the window or go into spot mode and check out the scenery. With that being said, I'll give it the old college try and try an approach to KLAX. I'll probably be way too high and/or too fast and not aligned with the runway but I should be able to give you an idea of the FPS. I'll do this later this evening, I'm at the 9-5 now.

Hi Pete,Would you be so kind to post the URL of the MS forum where we can find the info regarding the "config trick"?Thanks and regards,Michel

Michel,go to the Microsoft Flight Simulator Discussion Forum, here at AVSIM, and right at the very top is the tips amd tricks discussion..

Guys,Here's another one you can try. I discovered this while trying out Pete's tip. Be sure to use a 4 to 3 ratio on the display resolution wether it may be windowed or fullscreen. I have always used 1280x1024 until today when I discovered that I gained 3 fps altering to 1280x960. Good luck,