Sign in to follow this  
Guest zimmerbz

Two questions for the PMDG buffs!

Guest zimmerbz

I have two questions that I am not sure about:1) When choosing the climb for the take off, what determines which one to use. Derated climb 1, 2 ect? I always pick the last one but am not sure why i do it. Is there something in the manual that tells us how to pick?2) When choosing the different approaches, I usually pick the RWY and an extension point of 10nm. First, can you put an extension in the real plane? And as for the approaches set up in the FMC, RNAV's, DILS approaches, ect, when should I choose the new approaches set up, and what would make me do so instead of just picking the runway and extension point? What are the benefits of choosing one of the new approaches set in the FMC? I have flown on vatsim before and seen numerous cockpit videos and never have seen an RNAV approach or an approach already in the FMC! And I want to thank everyone in the forum for responding to all the posts. It makes flying more enjoyable when you find out things that can help you fly. Everyone in here is great!Brad ZImmer

Hi Brad,I'll try to answer your questions. 1) I'm sure the real pilots have some tables to look at when they decide what derating to use. For me it's more of a hunch. If you're close to EOW you'd better take off (and climb) with the TO-2 and CLB -2 derating. If you are close to MTOW you better not derate. The derating in the FMC is not at this stage accurate to the real thing but it will be ( I think...lol)2) Yes the RWY extension is there on the real thing. Usually you have the ATC to direct you to an approach. This will most likely be in your FMC database. And you will choose that. VATTSIM strides to be as real as it gets so they will most liekly put you into some kind of Standard Terminal Approach Route (?). Wheter that is RNAV or ILS or VOR/DME is based on the charts for the same airport. Sot of.I'm sure someone will chip in here and correct me if I'm wrong. And please do! ;-)Cheers,

Hi Brad,Mats has answered most of your questions so I'll just leap in about approaches.You say you fly on Vatsim and have never seen an RNAV approach nor one from the FMC.One question, how do you approach an airport if there is no ATC there?All major airports have SIDs (DPs) and STARs to aid traffic flow and make controlling a bit easier because controllers then know where each plane is going.The SIDs, STARs and approaches are in the FMC database and should be included in your route once you know which runways you will be using.If there is no ATC you should fly the appropriate STAR and approach to the runway, in fact you shouild be prepared to fly those even if there is ATC especially if you put 'Charts on board' in the SB flight plan remarks box.SIDs & STARs are published procedures and should be flown *unless* directed otherwise by ATC, they are also there in case of a comms failure. In that instance you would fly the STAR up to the last point of the STAR, which usually has a hold associated with it, and then enter the hold and try to regain comms with ATC so you can proceed.As you have found on VATSIM you are often vectored off the STAR at some point so you end up not flying the full STAR but they should be in the FMC just in case.HTH

Guest zimmerbz

I guess my question really is whether or not to use runway with an extension or pick one of the approaches "DILS" or something that is already in the FMC. Those seem like they take you in loops when I see them planned out on the ND. I just dont want to put one of those in and find myself in a worse off position than I would be in if i just pick a runway and an extension point. I fly SIDS and STARS without a problem, its just not knowing if i should pick an approach already in the FMC. Thanks

Hi Brad,I can add a bit here. Although you have asked a very good and simple question, unfortunately to answer and explain why can get complex. To simply answer your question, yes, I would recommend always selecting an approach from the FMC. If you are flying VATSIM, and the airport has an ILS, VATSIM will almost always vector you for the ILS approach (so select the appropriate DILS option from the FMC). Sometimes when I fly on-line I will go to an airport that doesn't have an ILS approach and have VATSIM vector me to a non-precision approach. Typically a VOR or GPS. Some of the VATSIM controllers are familiar with other types of approaches as well such as RNAV or NDB. You can try requesting a specific approach from a controller upon initial contact or place your request in the remarks field when signing on and the controller upfront should see your request. Now for the more complex part. You asked which approach you should select, but typically, ATC will dictate the approach you are going to fly (unless the pilot makes a specific request). There are a few different factors which come into play when ATC selects an approach. IMHO here are the major ones; weather conditions, aircraft type, aircraft's avionics equipment type and traffic flow. For non precision approaches, typically ATC will provide radar vectors to the initial approach fix (allowing the pilot to not have to fly the entire approach procedure) and then the pilot will follow the approach as published. For a precision approach such as an ILS (typical for VATSIM), ATC will provide radar vectors to intercept the localizer and then you just fly it down. As the major factors change, so does the way ATC handles traffic flow to an airport. As conditions change, ATC may request a hold or give additional vectors to the approach. I was on a flight coming into O