Sign in to follow this  
Guest zimmerbz

Tracking Glideslope......

Can anyone give me pointers on tracking the glideslope? I find myself tracking it fine until about 2500ft and i seem to slip way below the glideslope. Are there any tips/formulas to help this process? I know to add thrust, but whenever I fly on a real 737 it seems as if they rarely apply a lot of thurst in final...of course they are good at what they do! Anyway, your comments are appreciated.Brad Zimmer

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Depending on the aprroach speed, you should descend 500-700ft/min to stay on glidepath. Make small corrections with thrust and elevator as required.

I had te same problem. The cause was too much fuel!If you only fly a go around with full tanks than you must have full flaps and a much higher speed.Frans DekkerKLM074

Two good replies here Brad, especially the one about too much fuel. A fairly common fault with new virtual pilots, or those very used to the default FS aircraft is to not bother about how much fuel they have on landing so they tend to be over weight.I assume you are talking about manual landings and not auto lands.IIRC rule of thumb is half ground speed (not IAS) for v/s. So if ground speed is 160kts v/s should be 800ft/min. If I have that wrong I am sure someone will leap in and correct me as I am only a virtual pilot :-)Another way to crack it is to do some auto lands at reasonable approach speeds and watch what the automatics do to the vertical speed.Don't forget that if you are deploying flaps during the approach you will need more thrust to overcome the drag of the flaps.HTHDave