Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vangelis

NOTAM : That ol' rudder problem (why and how)

Guest ba747heavy

>Looking forward to the "fix">>I think I speak for many customers by hoping that it will be>offered for download on more than one server this time to>avoid the "SU2" fun we all had a few weeks back:-)>>Regards>>Adam Moore>PMDG Boeing 737NG Registered UserAdam,I hardly think we will experience this kind of trouble this go ;) Mr. Randazzo and Lefteris have babied the server, and now it works just fine. It will handle the load of the mini(and when I say mini I mean mini) patch :)

I'm also using the CH Pro Pedals USB and a CH Flight Sim Yoke. Had the very same problem and eventually solved it permanently by unassigning the rudder trim functionality within MSFS under Assignments which at least in my case appearently was the cause of the erratic behaviour of the rudder.Cheers,

Richard Åsberg

Hi PMDG team,Very simular to David's experience, today I too had the problem with rudder cross control. Flying from LEMD to BIKF, I was told to land on Keflavic's runway 11 when the winds were 020/24 gusting to 36. I should have opted to ignor the landing runway and select runway 02. But due to a limitation of the work we are doing on Radar Contact, I did not have the option for this runway.The PMDG737 autopilot stayed "glued" on the GS and localizer all the way down to 500 feet, with enough crab that I was looking at the runway on approach from the edge of the co-pilots windscreen. Knowing about the rudder problem is what prevented me from kicking off the AP at my usual 1500 foot mark. Well at 500 feet when I did take over, it was all I could do to keep the left wing down and the nose pointed at the runway with the rudder. Just little rudder inputs made me have wild swings, pulling all inputs from the rudder in those high winds I am sure is what caused the rapid swinging, but I did manage to plunk it down somewhat "hard" to keep from going off the runway. The roll out was not conforting to the pax as we whip back and forth on the runway.I hope the upcoming mini-patch will address this kind of cross-wind problem. I do want to thank the team for a just outstanding patch is with SU2, it is nothing short of stupendous, just great work team.Thanks again for all the hard workBob Johnson

Guest Vangelis

Bob,Thanks for the feedback. Yeah problem is that is has now become too easy :)But you were right in guiding the a/c to the runway the way you did even if unintentionally. Exactly that : small rudder inputs at pretty low alt (say 50 ft?). There are people back there not boxes and cattle.Regards,Vangelis

Guest jcomm

Vangelis,ever since I bought PMDG's 737NG I can't stop landing at my preferred portuguese airport - Madeira LPMA.I have had the chance to land and takeoff from there a few times in jumpseats on the cockpits of 737s and Buses. I recall a particular situation on a TAP 737-300, very near to their retirement from the Airline of Portugal. I was in the cockpit during the approach and landing, and we landed on rw 05, with a crosswind component very near to the rw limits due to terrain closure and various "windtunel" effects.I was pretty much involved in following each of the captain (PF) and first officer moves, and for the very first time in my life I had the chance to "register" in my mind how it can be done in real life, wich is exactly what I immitate with MSFS + 737NG.The captain mantained the crab into the wind bellow 50 feet, and just a second or so before the main wheels touched the rw he applied plenty of opposite rudder at a high rate, while turning the yoke towards upwind. The first officer pushed the control column all the way ahead and mantained it there strongly with the yoke allways fully deflected upwind until reversers were disengaged!!!I will never forget about that. I use that very same technique, and I am sure that no other MSFS aircraft will replicate it's effects as well as PMDG's 737NGs with the upcoming patch ;-)

Hi Guys,Today was even more interesting than yesterday. Flying from BIKF to KORD, with a full load of fuel. The approach into KORD was really a challenge. First there is snow and lots of it. Next the winds are 320/24 gusting to 30, with at the time 5 mile visibility, celing of 1200 feet. Landing on runway 32L, had just enough cross wind to make the final flare really fun with small rudder inputs. Put her down nice and soft, but she was drifting cross the runway. I hope my technique was OK, I lined up left of centerline and when I landed I was too the right of it. Once I touched down, I pulled her back to the center line with the rudder and we went right down the runway in blowing snow. Could not see worth a poop (grin). Landing at Ohare in the snow with Ultimate Traffic's, AI traffic at 90% what a site, planes everywhere. Having flown there many times, it really did look real. There were at least 30 planes lined up for takeoff and the gates were full at the international terminal where I had to park. What a fun day!!!!!!!!!!Bob