Sign in to follow this  
Guest iain williams

Banking with auto pilot on - query?

Guest iain williams

Hello, I am new to the 737ng so am on a steep learning curve.I notice that with the auto pilot on and altitude set I cannot easily alter course with the yoke, unless I change the heading selector. If I want to alter course, without selection the heading selector, I have to disable the auto pilot and altitude hold and fly completly manual.Is this normal? Is there a way to be able to have the altitude on auto pilot and manually alter course using the yoke?THANK YOU................Iain

Hi IainYes there's a mode in the AFDS (automated flight director system) that will allow you to input any pitch or bank angle into the A/P using the yoke. It is called CWS (control wheel steering) and is extensively described in the PMDG Manual.Hope it helps,

SURE ;-) Set yourself up with the A/P at a certain whatever you desire altitude (you can push ALT HOLD) and HDG SEL (roll mode) speed THEN apply PRESSURE to the control in the direction that you want control over. Make sure CMD A or B is engaged.a; For pitch control hold your joystick or yoke back or forwardb; for roll control turn your joystick or yoke. Now you are in CWS modes, CWS P = Control Wheel Steering For CWS P it is very much like the sidestick on a Airbus holding pitch attitude that you hold, like pitch up to 8 degrees and LET GO, CWS P will KEEP the pitch. Works the same for roll mode (heading). You will see on the PILOTS FLIGHT DISPLAY (PFD) the words CWS in YELLOW indicating active CWS. CWS will capture the MCP altitude window height, say if you are in CWS in a climb and are at 5000' with 10000' set in the window, the AFS will go to ALT ACQ-ALT HOLD. It is all complex but hey that is the fun of learning. You can also just have the A/T with speed selected and UNCHECK any lights like HDG SEL ALT HOLD etc and have manual control.. [h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Guest iain williams

Thanks Matt and Randy. Appreciate your help on what is an basic concept. I notice that when I set the altitude set to say 5000 and then turn with the CRW turned on, or by using positive pressure on the yoke, the turn rate is rather sluggish - in comparison to turning wihtout any instrumentation set. Do you know if this is normal? Why is it easier to turn in complete manual mode in contrast to a more sluggish turn in CRW mode??Probably another silly question - thanks..............Iain

CWS Roll has been *tuned* to mimic the correct rate but everyone has different controls with different sensitivity settings. I think it is great where it is for my setup but like I said it's different for other people's setups..[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |

Hi Iain!In addition to what Mats and Randy has said you

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest iain williams

>Hi Iain!>>In addition to what Mats and Randy has said you

Guest iain williams

Just downloaded the 737 800/900 package and ALL my problems re banking with the 737ng have been solved. Everything operates just fine now - cheers..........Iain