Sign in to follow this  
zubart

Wrong FMC SPEED leveling at 10,000 ft.

Excuse me if this is a known issue, but I've never seen it mentionioned.After the airplane climbs to and levels off at 10,000 feet in VNAV, the commanded indicated airspeeds stays at 250kts when it should be going to the FMC SPEED that is on the CLIMB page. Would be nice to see this changed in the next update.Overall very happy with is product. Nice Job PMDG!Floyd

Not sure what is going on, but I have not had this problem with VNAV. Mine accelerates up to fmc speed with no problems every time. Are you sure your fmc is programmed correctly? All weights entered in exactly? Edit: I forgot, did you change your altitude in the MCP?

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest zip

Perhaps it knows that the speed limit at or below 10,000 and is 250kts (I assume you have it dialed higher?).

Yes, the FMC is programed correctly. I'm not talking about passing through 10,000 feet on the way up to a higher cruise altitude, mine accelerates to FMC SPEED also. I'm talking about leveling at 10,000 feet.Let me try again. Climb to 10,000 feet in VNAV. While the airplane is leveling off at 10,000 feet the commanded speed on the PDF should change to the FMC's speed on the CLIMB page which is a higher speed above 10,000 feet. Instead the PDF's commanded speed stays at 250kts while the airplane flys at 10,000 feet. Also, at 10,000 feet or above, there is no 250kts restriction so why is the FMC commanding 250kts in FMC SPEED mode? Floyd

>Perhaps it knows that the speed limit at or below 10,000 and>is 250kts (I assume you have it dialed higher?).>>>Nope. The FAR says that no one may operate an airplane BELOW 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots. Floyd

Guest Zapper

Hi Floyd,The current climb limit speed for this phase of flight will always be shown on the CLB page regardless of whether FMC is in use or not, as long as it has been programmed. If there is a limit different to that of the airpsace class in which you are flying then it will be shown instead but generally it is 250/10K most of the world over. You can set whatever you like inhere and it is oftemn deleted if ATC says "Cancel Speed Restirction" Right on 10K the limit is 250, above 10K there is no restriction. The book actually says 250 BELOW 10000' but what is an inch either way amongst friends eh? :)The Command Speed shown by the magenta index on the speed tape of the PFD will ALWAYS reflect that whcih is currently steering the Flight Director and consequently the Autopilot (A or :( or one of the soft squishy pilots, whichever happens to be manipulating the control surfaces at the time.Please make it clear what your FMA indications are above, below and at 10K. Just another thought.. why were you levelling off at 10K in VNAV? Procedural limit? We hate to fly level at low altitudes for reasons of economy.The LEFT FMA is for the Autothrust system (controls Thrust Levers), the RIGHT FMA is the current PITCH Mode (drives the Horizontal Stabiliser). With some more info I may be able to help further but again as a real world -800 driver this sim is fabulous and the real aeroplane is a complex critter.In many of the incidents/accidents these days a common causal factor is 'Modal Awareness' or the lack thereof and is one on which we concentrate in training ppl to fly the highly automated airlines aeroplanes of today. Indeed, one of the most common questions on the flight deck these days is "What is it doing now?" or "Why is it doing that?"So everyone please go easy on PMDG. The have done a fabulous job of this sim and all the porfessional pilots I show it to are blown away by its' fidelity. If you can fly this sim then you can easily transition to the real aeroplane in terms of system operation and basic manipulation.Not a rant but a genuine plea to understand that this is by far and away the best civvy flight sim I have seen in 20yrs, having started witjh a table based DC9 on a TRS80 in the late 70s.To put it in the Aussie vernacular this sim is the ducks guts :)Rgds and always gald to help if I can,Brad MarshZK-PBC In Hawaii on delivery from Boeing:http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~speedy/pic...Hawaii_Crew.jpg

Guest zip

Below 10,000 you're correct. Perhaps it assumes you're too close to 9,999 and 11 inches :)I have no idea but it's too coincidental that the 250 is there, so I can only assume it's programed that way. If you dial in a speed lower than 250, does it follow that? I guess I'll have to try this.And it has been years since I've heard of the ol' trash-80 as it used to be known in the less than civilized university world...

Brad,Next time you go flying, climb to 10,000 feet with VNAV engaged and level off for a short period of time. You'll see what I'm talking about. AS soon as the altitude hits 10,000 feet the commanded speed bug will repositon to the FMC ECON CLB speed. It does not stay at 250kts.There are many times when ATC will Step Climb you up to cruise, oh such as departing the Los Angeles area. You may have to fly at 10,000 feet for a short while or any other altitude for that matter. Right?Floyd

I suggest you post this in the anchored post and explain once again that the MOMENT one hits 10000' and happens to be holding at 10000' on the way up the climb target should become the target commanded speed. It gets a little complicated with VNAV ALT but regardless the commanded VNAV speed in this case should go climb target..[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | WD SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 |