Sign in to follow this  
Guest allblack

Recommended reading for PMDG 737

Guest allblack

Good morning.I would like to know what documentation there is to support using the FMC in the 737 600/700 at a more basic level. I've got the FMC manual that came with the product, also the PMDG Flight Tutorial and also Tim's Advanced Tutorial V2, and they're all great reads.However, is anyone aware of anything a little easier to understand, especially the programming of the FMC.I don't consider myself particularly dumb, but I am having problems getting my head around a lot of this stuff and find it presumes I already know about Route Discontinuity (for example).There is so much in this product to enjoy, and I have no problem spending the next 12 months putting in the hard yards to get to grips with it, but the current documentation I'm finding a little demoralising.So, is there easier stuff out there, or do I just "suck it up" and get on with it???Thanks, as always.Tim

Hi Tim,Have you read through the remaining PMDG documentation included in the product? It should give you a good start on the knowledge background, concepts and terminology you are looking for. Also, take a look at the documentation folder on the PMDG website.

Guest allblack

Hi George.What remaining documentation included in the product?The box only had two manuals in it, the flight manual (easy) and the FMC manual (nightmare).I've had a look at the docs on the website, but still wishing for something a little less technical, something that breaks down the FMC process to a simpler level.Still, if there's nothing about then I'll just keep on trying!CheersTim

What you are asking for simply does not exist sadly. This has been an issue even with the beloved PIC. You can find a wealth of information on this forum but then again that would take some searching and digging too. I would love to do one but won't happen anytime soon..[h4]Best Wishes,Randy J. Smithhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgAMD 64 3200+ | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro | Windows Xp Pro 64 |

Guest FattyBear

There is a Continental Flight Manual for the 737 floating around. I'm not sure how legal it is to download it though from the file sharing progs.

Guest pagotan

Hi,It is highly doubtful the manual you are referring to is distributed legally. It is the propriety of the Airline and to certain extend of the manufacturer of the plane with all distribution and copyright restrictions you may imagine attached to it. Unless there is a letter from the airline authorizing the distribution of an internal manual attached to it, it is a good advice to keep away from it and for the sake of this forum and the AVSIM website to abstain to advertise for this manual, or give any indications on how or were to obtain it.Michael

Guest Boone

Hey Tim - All you need is Tim Metzingers Advanced Tutorials V2. Devote a weekend, or just a few evenings, to following this wonderful guide page by page. Write down notes and don't be afraid to pause the sim. It will all make sense in no time. Check out this review from an Avsim staff writer http://www.avsim.com/pages/0504/pmdg_737ng...idan_story.html.It mentions how he, mostly a GA pilot, got to terms with the 737NG from this very tutorial.Trust me - a short amount of time devoted to following this tutorial will open up a whole new world of flight simulation.Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

I echo 'Boone's' comments.Its simple really if you want to learn about this bird you have just got to read the tutorial and fly the lessons that really explain and say it all!'Glide slope' capture, ZFW, how to program the FMC (A lot easier than the 'MCDU' in the 'Scarebus') its a very well written tutorial. It takes up the hours I know but, worth it for the best package I think, available.Dave.'If it burns Kerosene and makes a noise, I'm interested'.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest Skip M Fulton

Tim, Such a document is difficult to find and the truly best guides are the Boeing Ops Manual Vols 1 & 2. I had a look at the Boeing Flight Crew Training Manual however this focuses on how to fly the plane.The ultimate answer is the Boeing Computer Based Training (CBT) for the 737NG. This is an awesome CD which you simply throw into the machine and advance through the tutorials. It teaches you everything about the aircraft you could possibly imagine. I did a tutorial the other day on the bleed air systems in 18 minutes and now understand fully the dynamics and how to use each button on that part of the panel, when to use it and what it does.However this is very difficult to get hold off and is usually airline specific. If, as your username may suggest, you are a kiwi from the other side of the ditch, shoot me an email at team@vozvirtual.org and I'll have a chat to you about some of the options available in learning this stuff. We have access to some excellent resources as well as a couple of VOZ and PBI pilots who love to help us out teaching new guys how to operate this stuff.Skip