Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chief Wiggum

Engine failure - takeoff

Guest Chief Wiggum

I was practicing engine failures during takeoff today and I had some trouble. Hope you can help me.I lined up with runway 09 at KSAN and activated TOGA. At V1, I cut-off my left engine, use rudder to maintain myself lined up and start rotating at Vr. And then the problems begin: After I get airbone, TOGA is de-activated, and, even if I move my throtlle to 100%, my pitch has to be too shallow that I end up crashing in the hill in front of the runway.What am I doing wrong? :(Thanks,

Guest leadZERO

What's your take-off weight? You sure you aren't exceeding any weight limitations?

Guest alt k1ll3r

i think when u call V1 that means the C or the FO should stop the take off, because of that engine failure.Slava N

Any de-rates selected in the FMC? I belive that selecting a de-rate as opposed to Assumed temp will prevent the engine to achieve max thrust when you firewall the throttle. Did you at any time reach V2?What V/S did you aim for?Slava, sorry if I missunderstand you, but the call "V1" is done by the Pilot-Not-Flying (PNF) and means that regardless of what happens one must takeoff since there is not enough runway left to stop. At V1 the PF moves his hand away from the throttles since they are committed to takeoff. V2 is the safe speed for a one-engine configuration (in a two engine plane).

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Guest Chief Wiggum

Takeoff weight: 126.4 - Payload + 80% wings + 3.5% center fuel. Not exceeding any limitation (and I can takeoff if I don't fail the engine).Yes, I reach V2, and I try to follow the FD bars.Thanks,

Bernardo,>Yes, I reach V2, and I try to follow the FD barsI think this is when you start to get in trouble. With an engine out you should try to keep V2 and no more. I think the FD-bars will try to guide you to V2+20 and that will cause trouble at that altitude and speed.Will try to find out how the real FD behaves on a EO TO. Would make sense if it reverts to guide you to V2.Cheers,

I saw this problem before a while back.Are you getting a STALL warnig after you rotate?Are you using FS2002?Floyd

Guest Chief Wiggum

I get the STALL warning if I increase my pitch. I'm using FS2004

Are you using the PMDG Load utility before you run MSFS? What zero fuel weight are you using?It sounds like the airplane is too heavy for your Takeoff V speeds.Floyd

Guest Chief Wiggum

Yes, I use.My ZFW is 126.4Thanks,

Guest Chief Wiggum

I just wanted to know if it's normal that my TO/GA mode is disengaged after I'm airbone, and if it is, what am I supposed to do: activate it again or move my throttle to 100%? I think I can manage the FD barsThanks,

No, it's not normal for TO/GA to disengage during a engine failure after V1. Was there a time it was working normally? I had this same problem at one time a while back but I can't remember how I fixed it. I believe that I had forgotten to install one of the updates. Maybe you should contact PMDG or try an uninstall and reinstall.Floyd

Hang on. I just tried some V1 cuts on my computer and the same thing is happening to me. The airspeed won't accelerate much above V2 and the airplane stalls and crashes to the runway. TO/GA disengages amd goes to MCP SPD for pitch.I haven't done any V1 Cuts for a while but last time I was doing them it worked fine with plenty of thrust to climb out at V2 + 15. I used a -700, ZFWT of 105,000 pounds and 20,000 pounds of fuel for a total airplane weight of 125,000 pounds, Takeoff thrust at TO, flaps 5.Can anybody else confirm this?Floyd

I did some more V1 cuts with the -800 and -900 and they performed without any problems.It's only the -700 thats loosing TO/GA Mode and stalling after liftoff during a V1 cut.Can anybody else confirm this too?Floyd

Guest Chief Wiggum

I was using the -800 when doing this.