Sign in to follow this  
jc_150

How do you do this?

Hi all in the forum. After many successful online flights I wanted to try a busy airport to test my skills. I failed miserably.I was fully established on localiser and glideslope just becomming active, and wanted to do an autoland, all was looking good for a night flight, then the controller asked me to turn away because of more priority traffic which I tried to comply with, so my question is....how do I disable the localiser and glide slope capture and still maintain autopilot control so I make a heading turn and capture the localiser next time round? I felt that whilst i had the autopilot on and loc captured it had priority over the heading change i tried to make. I did have a happy landing because the priority traffic turned away instead when the pilot heard me on the radio. thanks in advanceJohn Callejaedit. I was using the PMDG 737-800

John Calleja

Picture6.jpg

Guest lamont

Hi John:The scenario you suggested seems a bit odd unless the other a/c had a declared emergency, the controller should not have arbitrarily changed the landing order. However, to answer your question, probably the easiest method would be to disengage the a/p, manually turn to the new heading while leveling the aircraft. Once, on the new heading reset your heading on the MCP and re-engage the a/p, adjust the autothrottle to 200 to 230 knots. Adjust your altitude on the MCP according to ATC instructions.

Guest CA7719B

If an atc ever does this, usually they will say "fly runway heading and climb to xxxx" like an aborted landing. I always have the hdg set to near the rwy course so incase stuff like this happens.Here is what I would do....If you are descending on the ils glidescope and abondment is needed.1. if atc give you hdg and alt instructions, set hdg and alt, switch from APP to HDG SEL, Hit LVL CHG and immediately increase your auto throttle(ias) to V2+30(for the climb AND increase accordingly), gear up, decrease flaps to 2 or 5 if needed. Then listen for atc instructions for go around etc, they should give you pattern hdgs so you can get back for re-descent.2. if atc DO NOT give you hdg and alt instructions, set hdg to rwy course and alt to 3000-5000(depending on the altitude of the airport imho), switch from APP to HDG SEL, Hit LVL CHG and immediately increase your auto throttle(ias) to V2+30(for the climb AND increase accordingly), gear up, decrease flaps to 2 or 5 if needed. Then listen for atc instructions for go around etc, they should give you pattern hdgs so you can get back for re-descent. If atc doesn't help you by doing this, then I must say that they are not a good atc. 99 percent of ATC's will immediate give you hdg/alt instructions when an a go-around is needed.Hope this helpsRandy Oldfield

The only way to quickly comply with such a request is to totally disconnect automation, fly manually to get out of the way and then reengage the autopilot in whatever mode you want. It is possible ATC asked you to abort in case you were going too fast and you were getting dangerously close to the proceeding aircraft.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

To add to what has been said here, the only way to leave APP MODE 1] Turn off the A/P AND F/D2] Retune the NAVs3] Press a TOGA. These are the ONLY WAYS to get out of APP mode......so take your pick... Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |