Sign in to follow this  
chiswick72

"VIA" on the FMC

Hi all,This is probably a silly question, but I dont know too much about this function. Why do you need the VIA command when you can just enter any custom waypoint through the normal LEGS page, and make very specific route plans?Many thanks for the help!Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Guest Ross

An airway designator is placed in the VIA field of the route page, this removes the need to put every intersection into the legs page. For example if you were flying from London Heathrow to Madrid, your route would be something like this:SAM UN866 LAGUL UN621 ARE UN864 ORBISBetween ARE and ORBIS it indicates we will be flying along route UN864 (Upper November 864). UN864 goes into the VIA field to the left of ORBIS on the route page. If you were to use the legs page to input this route, you would have to enter all these waypoints instead of just UN864:ARE TERKU POMTA NOVAN TUROP TESTU PATEL SNR RATAS NEA ORBISThe VIA part of the route page is there to save you time. On a long flight it takes considerably longer to program the FMC with the legs page than it does with the route page. The LEGS page is generally used to input navaids given by ATC or for setting holds etc..

To add to Ross's post, the ROUTE page is where one builds the route. The legs page is for MODIFICATIONS of the route or checking one's route out on the ND etc.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Ross,Very well explained, thanks very much for that. I will have a look in FSNav to find these routes, I never noticed them before, UN864, very convenient !Oh, and thanks Randy for the additional comment! Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Ross, if I needed to fly direct to a VOR, but I need to fly a specific radial to that VOR, such as 322 radial to PHK, how would I enter that on the PMDG FMC/CDU?How about at the very end of a route to, say, KLAS, how would I put an entry on the FMC/CDU to fly a 13 nm final approach to KLAS using a 250 degree heading to KLAS using LNAV? That would great for but an ILS and a Visual approach to KLAS RWY 25R or 25L, because you know the runway will be at your 12 o'clock.Thank you all for the good FMC/CDU tips,Kerke

Guest Ross

>Ross, if I needed to fly direct to a VOR, but I need to fly a>specific radial to that VOR, such as 322 radial to PHK, how>would I enter that on the PMDG FMC/CDU?>>How about at the very end of a route to, say, KLAS, how would>I put an entry on the FMC/CDU to fly a 13 nm final approach to>KLAS using a 250 degree heading to KLAS using LNAV? That would>great for but an ILS and a Visual approach to KLAS RWY 25R or>25L, because you know the runway will be at your 12 o'clock.>>Thank you all for the good FMC/CDU tips,>>Kerke>To fly a 13 nm final approach to 25R at KLAS, you need to use the LEGS page and enter LAS070/13 and below that LAS. The format is PPPPBBB/DDD, P=place, b=bearing, d=distance. Bearing being the opposite of heading if you fly to a point this is 13nm away from LAS VOR on a bearing of 070, you will have to fly a heading of 250 for 13 miles to get to the LAS VOR. This should have the runway threshold roughly at your 12 o'clock.