Sign in to follow this  
chiswick72

Possible HOLD issue

Hey all happy new year!I just tried something I hadnt done before and was suprised at the result. Im flying an IFR flight plan as usual at CRZ alt in VNAV and LNAV, about 300 miles from TD. Since I needed to leave for an hour I decided to add a HOLD to the flightplan 250 miles ahead, many waypoints down, and before TD.Once I executed the HOLD the speed immediately dropped to the value shown on the HOLD page (265). I looked at the legs page and all the speeds of the preceding waypoints to the HOLD point were also at 265. Basically, the hold speed kicks in before the correct waypoint.A quick mod of the HOLD page speed fixed the issue, but is this real life behaviour or a little gremlin ?! Many thanks in advance! :)Armen at EGLLwww.veryquiet.com

That does not sound correct at all. If there is not a wpt on the route you should get BOX (HOLD AT) and PPOS PROMPTS. The SPD should not start decreasing until within 3 minutes of the FIX at current speed. Are you sure you did not enter a PPOS hold? Do it again and post a screenshot the MOMENT with the FMC showing...Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |

Further, If the active RTE does not contain any HOLDS coded, the FMC will have HOLD AT and PPOS. 2] To create a HOLD for a given say from TOD one needs to A point along the PATH. If you have a wpt somewhat close to the TOD one could simply select that wpt into the scratchpad and do something like this, say we have AVE 10 miles past TOD on the 123 HDG and we are 50 miles from AVE one would type this AVE123/-30 for along path wpt then select this into the BOXES promted for HOLD AT to hold prior to the TOD. Speed is never reduced unless the FIX is a Present Position FIX or the fix is within 3 minutes from your EXECUuction but in rl if you did it that late it might not fly the BEST SPD until the next round of the tract.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/southparkcartmad.gif[h3]PMDG 747![/h3]Caution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)ASUS KV8 DLX | AMD 3200 64 | 1 GIG PC 3200 DDR | GIGABYTE 5700 ULTRA | ViewSonic VP192b 19" |