Sign in to follow this  
garydpoole

Unable to select the required barometric pressure

HiOn a recent 737-700 flight to olso gardemoen (engm) i was instructed to by atc to descend to FL5000 with QFE 26.61. This i did but unfortunately, the lowest value i seemed to be able to enter was 28.00. This meant that i constantly being told by atc to expodite my climb to 5000ft.Looking at the charts, engm is at an altitude of 675ft, hence, i set a FL5700 and all was well.However, this leads me to my question regarding the fact that i couldn't set a barometric pressure of 26.61. I usually fly with metric pressure and i believe that 26.61 converts to approx 901mbar which is VERY low. Can anyone confirm that the lowest value i can enter is 28.00 (941mbar) ?Many thanksGary

TordI assumed ATC was using QFE (although as you state, the term "altimeter" was actually used) because they instructed me to FL5000 but were only "happy" when i was actually at FL5700 (ENGM @ 700ft MSL) - if i'm correct in assuming that QFE is the AGL elevation and not MSL (?)Gary

Yep, just as you say I think that if one sets the QFE for a certain airport the altimeter shows 0 (zero) when standing on the ground there, whereas the QNH means that you