Sign in to follow this  
Guest tmetzinger

Simple explanation will do what happens with single ch ILS APP?

Guest tmetzinger

if you're not doing an autoland, and just doing a CAT I approach to minimums and hand flying, you can have the airplane fly the approach in single channel mode.What dual channel mode gives you is the ability to fly the airplane down to the tarmac (ILS sensitivity increases as you get closer to the transmitters) and provides the flare pitch mode to automatically flare the airplane based on input from the radio altimeter.

I layman's terms, SINGLE CH = Manual landing - NO AUTOLAND -Must disconnect the A/P by 50 RA:DUAL CH = FUll AUTOLAND/FLARE - Will auto disconnect A/T 3 sec on Touch down, you MUST disconnect the A/P after T/D since there is no centerline giudence.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]

If I might add to the good explanations,You can still fly a CAT I approach using DUEL CHANNEL, just don't let the airplane AUTO LAND. The benefit of doing this is the autopilot controlled GO AROUND if you need to do one.DUEL CHANNEL means both autopilots are monitoring each other for accuracy which is what you would want if the airplane was going to AUTO LAND safely. If at any point the two autopilots don't agree, both will disengage and time to GO AROUND if doing a CAT II/IIIA approach.Floyd