Sign in to follow this  
Jean-Claude

Virtual cockpit help with 3D tracking device

Getting ready for the 744 release, I am contemplating to acquire one of those 3D tracking devices that would allow scanning the virtual cockpit without having to touch the mouse (this is utterly unpractical during critical phases of a flight to jump from keyboard to mouse and or GoFlight hardware when one is on final approach for example).Question is there anyone who is using such a device (3D tracking) with the PMDG 737 NG and how is it performing? Thanks for your help!With best regards,

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's a "short" take on this:I recently acquired a Natural Point TrackIR3 with the Vector module (this feature is turned off unless you buy it separately). The vector module is in my opinion a must with FS (if you go the head tracking route in the first place) because it tracks all your head movements (looking up and down, looking left and right, lower or raise your head, and movement front or back and left/right). In the VC, the same movements are duplicated. Without the vector module, you can only track side to side and looking up or down.What you get in the box is a software CD, registration card, the TrackIR head, looks like an alien and it's quite small (about 1" x 2") with a larger stainless clip

Etienne,thanks a lot for your posting! That Track IR does indeed sound good, particularly with that "vector module". If the B744's virtual cockpit will indeed have smooth gauges to fly IFR with I might just get one of those devices to fly with it on the 747. Until now we never had good enough refresh rates on gauges in virtual cockpits (on airliners that is) so I never had the need for the Track IR. But let's hope that will change now :)Regards,Markus

Hi Etienne,Many thanks for your detailed response, it is indeed helpful and I am going to investigate further into it (see if I could get a demo somewhere in Switzerland for example, given its price tag...)!With best regards from Wallis