Sign in to follow this  
iainsmith

737Ng 600 and MTOW

Hi all. If this has been discussed before my apologies but a search didn't indicate anything.If I put a full or nearly (96%) load of passengers on board a 737NG 600 and a small amount of cargo with 100% fuel the FS fuel and payload facility tells me the aircraft is several thousand pounds over the max gross weight. Has anyone else found this? The 700, 800 and 900 all seem ok on this.I've found that the only way to avoid getting the message is to increase the max gross weight figure in the aircraft.cfg file (which incidentally has no effect on the figure in the PMDG load manager! :D )Would welcome any comments. ThanksIain Smith

As I don't have the PMDG, I can't comment quite on that. But it would seem to me, any plane with near 100% passenger load, wouldn't be able to take off with 100% fuel. Most planes don't carry 100% fuel. You only carry what you need. Have you tried only carrying what you need to get to your destination and not 100%? You should then be under MTOW.

Mike,Thanks for your reply. It seems that you're saying that an aircraft cannot make full use of its maximum range with a full passenger load on board. Is this really so?Iain

Well, yes and no. No, as in it could do it if it was in the air. Yes, because the problem is that will most likely put you over MTOW. I don't have numbers in front of me, but I'm willing to bet, if you loaded a 737 with full fuel, full passenger load, and a full cargo it will be over MTOW. In that case, you have to get rid of something. So you get rid of fuel, in this case, it can no longer fly it's maximum range. I hope this makes sense. You'll have to excuse me, I'm very tired.Maybe someone that knows more about this can help explain it better.

It is impossible to configure your 600 in the way you said in not be many thousand kilograms overweight. The truth is, the aircraft has lots of extra space, but it gets too hesavy. the 737 was created for shor-medium range flights, specially the 600. So an airline should never ever need to carry 100% fuel. When they do get close to such absurd figures of fuel loading they obviously cut down on what or who they carry onboard. The first thing to get ditched usually is cargo. For example, a 40 minutes route normally won't be loaded with more than 5000-6000 kg of fuel, which is about 1/4 of what the aircraft may carry. So there is plenty of room left to load it up with pax and cargo and not go above MTOW. Other things need to be taken into consideration as well because they too may limit MTOW. for example there is a route here in Brazil from Rio de Janeiro to S

Thanks for your reply Victor which was very interesting and made a lot of sense.Iain