Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

STARS and SIDs (a different perspective)

How is it done in R/L? Does a pilot memorize all the available STARS for a given airport and then once the landing runways is assigned, decide which STAR they will use? Or does ATC assign a STAR, once the pilot has stated his intention to fly a published approach procedure? Here is the scenario that prompted me to ask this question.I was on final into KLAX from KDTW in the 747. I checked LAX ATIS and figured the winds were east to west so the the westbound runways were being used. All 4 westbound runways were being used, so by the time ATC cleared me to 6L (I think it was) in between following ATC instructions and trying to configure the airplane for landing I never had time to enter the STAR for the 6L into the FMC. All this would have been a lot easier if I had known about a half hour prior to landing which STAR I was going to use. Hopefully this question makes sense - I am on a trading floor and just taking a quick break. Thanks for the help!!

Guest jgreth123

Slick, First thing to note, please sign your name to each post as per the forum rules. Now as to your question. Generally the STARs are done upon flight planning ( dispatch checks WX and uses appropriate STAR ). Airports like KLAX that have runway specific STARs will notify you of any changes you must make. You generally will have all charts handy in the event of such a change. More times than not though, STARs allow for either direction to be used. When you fly into KLAX, you can expect it to change... not only that, but time of day plays a part too... noise abatement :)

my name is Slick, (just kidding) So at the end of the day - the selection of the STAR is the pilot's decision, and not ATC. Thanks!Richard

Guest Darren Howie

No correct SLick.Stars are issued by ATC period.They may involve changes to your original tracking but generally a STAR will be issued based off your flightplan.IE.ALL flightplans say into Sydney from oceanic are required to track via waypoints SHARK and MARLIN.You will be issued with a MARLIN5 arrival when tracking in from the east but it still must be issued from ATC but you do know what to expect.Into SYD from the North you will generally get a BOREE arrival as you have flightplanned via BOREE.However a CALGA arrival can be issued and it will alter your inbound tracking.Generally your STAR will be linked to a flt plan waypoint but no 100% of the time.Darren

Guest jgreth123

Richard, I didn't see your response! My apologies. Darren is correct. You put in your request for a STAR, basically ATC approves it. They will say something such as 'continue on the Norwich Three arrival, cross Providence at one one thousand, two five zero indicated'. They will let you know if you have to use a different STAR than the one you requested in your flight plan.

KLAX will not only change your STAR at short notice,they also like to change your runway at about 1500ft given half a chanceregardsJon