Sign in to follow this  
Guest gremel

My (REAL 737NG Simulator experience)

Hi Jack,I'm in a group of people building a full-sized Boeing 757 flight simulator, where we have our own custom-build yoke setup that delivers the correct forces (as closely as we have been able to replicate).For home SW testing and such I only use modified CH yoke and pedals (I have replaced the original springs with a lot stiffer ones, so it's pretty heavy). However, the CH stuff will in no circumstances offer anything even remotely close to the real control feeling. For that one needs real aircraft yokes (at least the control wheels) and a proper system built in the background to give a good average control feeling in different control positions.I guess the PFC HW is pretty good, but I don't have personal experiences from their newest stuff. Tero

PPL(A)

Guest gremel

Hi Tero,Sounds like you are pursuing what I'd also like to do. I think I will take your advise and look into the PFC yokes etc. because I too feel that the other type yokes are so far from the real thing that it's hard to believe some manufacturers' missed the ball completely and did not pay more attention to the actual control forces involved in manual flying these types of aircraft. The PMDG software is way too perfect to have mediocore hardware driving it. I'll pay whatever it takes to somewhat replicate the total flying experience that this software is capable of producing. I just hope that the hardware industry wakes up to the rest of the flight simulation industry and produces a product/products for a market that is in my opinion increasing on a daily basis..Regards & thanks for you inputs.noullet

Guest gremel

Midnight Mike,Great sites....As you can tell by the PMDG software, it's hard to tell the software from the real thing. Too bad the hardware doesn't come up to MCP speed with the software....Hint to the hardware manufacturers....Regards,noullet

Guest MidnightMike

>Midnight Mike,>>Great sites....As you can tell by the PMDG software, it's hard>to tell the software from the real thing. Too bad the hardware>doesn't come up to MCP speed with the software....Hint to the>hardware manufacturers....>>Regards,>noulletThat program is the interior of the real full flight simulators.....

This is something I have really been considering doing. I have a hoard of questions for you.How did you go about getting ready for it? I love my PMDG 737's but there are just somethings that aren't simulated. I operate my 737 with FS2Crew and I have read Captain Mike's Super Guppy Check-ride book...shame its for 3/4/500's. How do you prepare to run your flows when (at least for myself) there is missing information?Assuming you are doing this for entertainment value, how does the simulator crew handle you? Are they more helpful? Or do they push and test you as hard as a real 737 pilot? Are or were you allowed a guest to sit in and observer your ride?Is there a shortened start up? It can take me the full 20 mins to go through my flows to just leave the gate. However if its $150 per hour, I would wish to trim that gate time.Did you have a hard time getting the slot that you wanted, or did you just take what you could get? Which Facility did you go to? The Long beach Facility seems to be the most openly receptive to the public, but they only have a 737-200...I would rather try the MD-11 than the 200. I'm sure I can ask a dozen more questions, but I'll hold em for now:)John Palmeri

Guest MidnightMike

John PalmeriMy goodness, you were not kidding about the questions! Let's see.These are joyride sessions, and when you get in the simulator, the engines will be started and you will positioned at the beginning of the runway. You will sit in the left seat, the instructor will either sit in the right seat, or the instructors seat, everything will depend on you. If you are having trouble handling the airplane, the instructor will assist from the right seat.You can 0 hours or a 1000 hours, the instructors will adjust the session for you.The instructor will not push you as if you are an experienced pilot.The simulator rides are done out of the Alteon-Long Beach Training Center, we normally offer the simulator rides in the MD11 or the 717, both are full glass cockpit.One person from this website took advantage of the simulator rides, I think he goes by Val, he wrote a trip report, by I am unsure if he ever posted it?As for the slot, I will work with, but, everything depends on the schedule, when the pilots are not in training.....

Guest gremel

Hi John,Sorry I didn't get back to answer some of your questions concerning the 700NG simulator flight since I was out of town.Anyways, here goes: To prepare for the 3 hours, I first selected an airport that was indigneous to the training center, which in your case, would be the facility at Long Beach, since these areas are more likely to be detailed within the simulator's existing scenery database. I then printed the Approach charts and got an area sectional chart and practiced takeoff's and landings with the various sids & stars and sometimes requested plain old vectors to the approach phase.Don't waste your time starting the engines and pushback etc. These are nice but what you want to do is get a feel for the real thing and the way it handles. I'd recommend that you do not use the autopilot or the autothrottles or if you do, use them on a time limited basis to give your brain a break. I'm sure you know how to fly this thing with the a/p & a/t so it's a whole lot different when you manually fly her. She is heavy and my existing CH yoke & rudders was not even close to what she really feels like to fly. I'm investing some major bucks on a yoke, rudders & a good throttle quadrant since what I have does not cut it..Any hardware people listening out there.....I had an instructor that was very helpful in teaching me how to manually fly it instead of relying on the automatics. He said that too many pilots get used to the a/p and a/t and sometimes have a little difficulty manually executing approaches in abnormal conditions with no a/p etc.As for guests, I'd inquire at the facility that you will be participating at to obtain their approval. Each facility probably has their own guidelines as to what they require from individuals who use their facilities.I had my adventure from 10pm until 2 am in the morning so you take what your offered and jump at it. I must say that doing a manual engine out at 2am and manually landing it via vectors back to the approach was agonizing to say the least but well worth it when I managed to land it.Just remember that the controls are 'very sensitive' and "big inputs" require "big outputs" and you get into a chase situation.. so go lightly on the yoke and rudder inputs...Feel free if you have any other questions.Regards,noullet