Sign in to follow this  
Guest robdebakker

frame rates

Guest robdebakker

I am an intensive FS9 user. I recently bought the 747-400 and I am experienced with LevelD 767 and PSS 777. Results on flying with the 747 are very disappointing, compared with the fr's of the other products.I am using multiple monitors, with overhead, throttle, radio and FMC undocked on two addiotinal monitors. Fr's are <6.0 which is unflyable.System is P4 3.6 with 2Gb memeory and Geforce 7800 Pro.Any suggestions? Why are the panels using so much performance? Thje other products are comparable and performing much better.Appreciate a PMDG reaction.Rob

Guest jgreth123

With that kind of system you have some serious issues going on.I have a much lesser computer, and I can run 1280x960 at 25+ FPS in this bird, with TrackIR in the Virtual Cockpit + Active Sky overcast going.Tweak your machine and ensure you have nothing running that you don't need to have on while you fly. Maybe you have spyware, adware, or just have other processes running that don't need to be.Also ensure you have the latest motherboard / video card / sound card drivers.

Multiple monitors is too much for one video card.The PMDG 747 has more functions going on than the other two.I have the LDS767 and the PMDG 747 and they both run ok on my system.AMD2400+, KT333 Motherboard, Radeon 9800Pro 128mb and 1024 DDR ram. Single, Samsung 171s LCD monitor, TrackIR4ProDave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

I have about the same problem as Rob describes :I have an AMD 3800+ with 1 GB RAM and two graphical PCI-E cards, a 6800GT and a Matrox Parhelia APVe with a total of 5 monitors for panels onlyI have limited the fps to 20 but as soon as I start undocking panels and enlarge them on the extra monitors, my framerate start dropping and after undocking the main panel, overhead, CDU, throttle and radio stack I am also down to 6 fps.I have already followed all PMDG advices as given in the manual to ease on the load, for example my instrument fps is down to 10 etc.As I have a Wideview setup with the outside views on other PC's I have also set all scenery sliders on this panels PC to the left.I do not have this problem with the PMDG 737NG nor with the F1 ATR72-500.So also I would welcome any help or advice to solve this problemSee you, Jan

Guest D17S

For the Hyper-Threaded / P4 guys, might try going into task manager > processes > and rt clk FS9.exe > set affinity, then de-select one CPU. Leave only one CPU engaged to FS9.exe. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but worth a try if you need a little booster. With these new, big Vcard (and even bigger add-ons), my impression is that MSFS is now getting CPU limited. My HT/P4/3.2 was wasn't even letting a little ol' 6600GT fully fly. Got a goodley boost with the CPU trick. (Not to address the PMDG vs 'other' question though. Just something to try in the mean time.)

Guest Boaz

How much are your fps while flying the LVD?I do not think or agree that LVD is lighter on the machine than the PMDG 744 is.So please tell us what you are getting with the LVD and also what other settings are set to.It is an issue with many who complain about FS9 performance, that they do not focus on the rest of the setup of FS9.Yes add on panels and VCs will demand more of your pc, around 15fps if you are really unlucky.But many things can be done to make the whole deal much more slick running.If you are using Active sky you can choose to have clouds made in DXT format rather than BIT32, this WILL increase performance, especially on a good card like yours.AI needs to be there I agree, but please be prepared to live with low fps in places like FRA, LHR og ORD/ATL.Also do not use MYTRAFFIC if you want to fly in and out of heavy congested areas, my FRA suffors simply because I have 5 MYTRAFFIC C5s parked there, along with other traffic of course.Auto Gen is a major fps stealer as well. Try getting autogen textures in a lower resolution or even in DXT would be even better.Range of clouds and visibiliy... Set to a medium setting at least, in real life you rarely have more than 60miles of vis anyhoo.Scenery shadows is a small cause, but disabiling both aircraft and scenery shadows will boost a bit, but is not recommended for a high end system like yours.There are many ways and much more you can strip down, but I think that will have an effect on the over all experience.I think clouds, water, mesh and the likes are necessary for the over all FS9 experience...Boaz...

Guest rnj slinger

no really there is a big difference between other payware aircraft.I use two monitors on top. 21"/ 19"1. 2d panel2. overheadworks great with pmdg 737 all versions, lds 767, and feelthere 737.i have in 2d almost the same fps with every panel/aircraft, also with the pmdg 747, but when i use overhead panel on monitor 2 then my fps go down with 10 fps.conclusion 2 monitors on pmdg 737, lds 767 feelthere 737 are great and works fine.2 monitors on 747 pmdg is fps -10 (on my system).pent 4 3.2 1024nbati 9800 pro 256mbregards rick

All you guys would have much better frame rates if you did what Jeff Greth and I have done?Buy 'TrackIR 3' with vector expansion or '4 Pro'.Then you could put all those monitors cluttering up your space and sending the electric bill soaring in the dustbin and enjoy the reality immersion experience that 'TrackIR' delivers.Think of it, just one monitor to supply information for? Your CPU and video card would FLY (If you pardon the pun?).Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest robdebakker

>Then you could put all those monitors cluttering up your space>and sending the electric bill soaring in the dustbin and enjoy>the reality immersion experience that 'TrackIR' delivers.Are you sales person for trackIR? You suggest I give up :http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9782/robcockpit19cr.jpgBest,Rob

Guest rnj slinger

i don't want to fly with track ir, so i think the only options is to switch of the overhead when i need the fps.:-( by the way rob, thats looking good, the only difference with a real panel is the electrical wiring.rick

No I'm not a salesman for TrackIR, just someone that is using it.I believe in 'credit where credit is due' and TrackIR is more immersive, as you can fly any aircraft with a VC with more view potential than you have in that expensive looking set-up. Nice as it is.If you doubt my words, just look up Jeff's video's using it here http://chicago054.server4free.de/jeff/v_movies.htmAfter all, we are discussing frame rates and what causes slow fps, aren't we?This is also the answer to those who CAN'T afford to build cockpits as good as yours.Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

I propose to stop discussing about aspects not related or not solving the low fps problems as decribed by Rob, Rick and myself and invite the real PMDG experts to come in and explain why and help us outSee you, JanPS Maybe the attached photo makes clear why I want the problem solved

>I have about the same problem as Rob describes :>>I do not have this problem with the PMDG 737NG nor with the F1>ATR72-500.>>So also I would welcome any help or advice to solve this>problem>>See you, JanIf you don't have this problem with either of those two, there can't be much wrong then? The 'NG's are very fps hungry in 'vc' view.BTW Jan, your set-up is the best I have seen, well done mate.Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

Beautiful setup there Jan, It's hard for those of us who do not have such a setup to help you out without guesswork. I use one 19" screen and my specs certainly are on the high end, I get great fps. I think that to be able to drive that many panels might require a very powerful machine. I would suggest writing PMDG directly for any advice on your type of setup.[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]AMD 64 4000+|ASUS K8V DELUXE|SAPPHIRE ATI X800XT PE|MUNCHKIN 3200|80 gig SATA|DELL 1905FP 19" LCD|TRACKir PRO|PFC JEPPESEN MOONEY YOKE|CH PRO PEDALS|

Guest rnj slinger

could someone from Pmdg reply on this subject?? regards,rick.looking forward for the freighter.