Sign in to follow this  
Guest derekb

FMC questions...

Guest derekb

Hello,I read the manual, chapter 9, about the AFMS, and I'm left with a couple of questions.1) The AFDS MCP section mentions two FD switches, but I can only see one. Are there really two?2) All the buttons and controls are identified and explained with the exception of the course knob. How does it differ from the heading knob? 2a) When I take off on say runway 34, I'd like to set the number to 341 degrees, but is it the heading or the course? (The tutorial uses ambiguous language)2b) Before selecting APP and then VOR/LOC, the manual says at a minimum to set right ILS frequency and set the course. Is it the course, the heading, or both?Thanks!Derekb

Guest Phill

See jpg ,hope it helps.Phill

>Hello,>>I read the manual, chapter 9, about the AFMS, and I'm left>with a couple of questions.>>1) The AFDS MCP section mentions two FD switches, but I can>only see one. Are there really two?I believe they are refering to the one on capt side and the one on FO side>2) All the buttons and controls are identified and explained>with the exception of the course knob. How does it differ from>the heading knob? It select the course(track) rather than heading>2a) When I take off on say runway 34, I'd like to set the>number to 341 degrees, but is it the heading or the course?>(The tutorial uses ambiguous language)always course(track)>2b) Before selecting APP and then VOR/LOC, the manual says at>a minimum to set right ILS frequency and set the course. Is it>the course, the heading, or both?always course(track)hope this helpthanks

Hello,A:Hi.I read the manual, chapter 9, about the AFMS, and I'm leftwith a couple of questions.1) The AFDS MCP section mentions two FD switches, but I canonly see one. Are there really two?A: Yes. 2) All the buttons and controls are identified and explainedwith the exception of the course knob. How does it differ fromthe heading knob? A: There are also two of these, Captain and FO. The course display is only used with the #1 and #2 NAV radios. The Course display is used to set a course for a tuned ILS or VOR freq that is being used for navigation. The Heading display is only used to turn the airplane to a desired magnetic heading. By pushing HDG SEL, the AFDS will give FD commands to manually turn the airplane to the heading set in this window. If the autopilot is engaged, then it will turn the airplane to the heading set in the heading display.2a) When I take off on say runway 34, I'd like to set thenumber to 341 degrees, but is it the heading or the course?(The tutorial uses ambiguous language)A: Have not seen the tutorial but you would set the HDG SEL to 341 degree's to fly a desired heading. If part of the takeoff departure is to intercept a VOR's 341 degree course then you would set 341 degrees in the CRS window and tune the respective VOR freq in the #1 NAV.2b) Before selecting APP and then VOR/LOC, the manual says ata minimum to set right ILS frequency and set the course. Is itthe course, the heading, or both?A: It's the Course. You set the ILS Final Approach Course in the MCP Course window. Also, VOR/LOC then APP not the other way for an ILS approach.Good luck!Floyd

Guest derekb

Thank you to all of you. I obviously have some more basic reading to do, but this has been great. Derek

2b:After you have engaged the approach localizer or VOR and locked on, it is a good idea to set the runway bearing into the HDG on the MCP in case you need to engage for a missed approach the first step is to usually follow runway heading for a short distance and climb.