Sign in to follow this  
Guest 744nut

Altitude range arc

Guest 744nut

Hi guys,This arc frequently disappears in the ND while descending. Making a non ILS approach this arc is very important for me. Is this disappearing observed with anyone else? Ton

I have also noticed that it dissapears when it gets close to your little plane icon. If you set the range to something smaller it will re-appear. I have noticed that the arc also gets big when it is far away and smaller as it gets closr. It doen't do that in real life. It will however dissapear at low rates of descent as Jim said.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest 744nut

"the arc runs off the top"No that is not the issue. E.g I use the arc to adjust my descent (with V/S) so that I pass a fix on a certain altitude. I place the arc on the fix (about 40nm away) ...and than of a sudden it disappears. I learned this trick in the RW sim and there it never disappeared ;-) Ton

I mis read Jim's post. When you have a rate of descent of less than somewhere around 700fpm the green arc will disappear. That is how it works in the real plane. I didn't say what I wanted as clearly as I would have liked. I should have said turn the Nav Display range to the next lower range and the green arc should re-appear. So if you are using the 80nm range and it goes away set it to the 40nm range. Of course this will only work for so long and then it will be gone for good on that descent but by then you should be assured of making the fix at the desired altitude.That green arc is the best thing they ever made for real world descents.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Guest 744nut

"turn the Nav Display range to the next lower range and the green arc should re-appear"Hi Tom,Thanks for answer ! What I recall from the RW sim is that it never disappeared but....but I am not sure anymore :-)."That green arc is the best thing they ever made for real world descents."It works fine for me too in the virtual world ;-)regardsTon

Greetings all,Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly it the green arc used for. I know it changes whenever I change altitude, but I have no idea what its purpose is. Any assistance would be appreciated. PS....I have the 737-6/7/8/900. I dont dare try the 747s yet.....lolThanks,Ron

Ron Priever

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest 744nut

Hi Ron,the arc shows the place where it will "hit" the assigned altitude. E.G if you put the arc on the treshold of a runway and you choose the right altitude the ac will adjust its descent so that you end up landing correctly (simply said because you need to practise that ;-)) regardsTon